sean
sean , Car and LCV technician
Experience:  UK City & Guilds qualified with 30 years experience
31670004

Ford Focus AC

I have the same problem i have a Ford Focus 2004 MKII 1.6 TDI its had a re-gas checked fuses relay and bypassed the low pressure switch and still nothing , the compressor will run if i take the plastic cover off the relay and press the contact in on the relay via a screw driver. could the be an ECU fault or something else ?

Category: UK Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

There is a common concern with the cooling fan on this model, the cooling fan is controlled by the engine management, when the AC is switched on the cooling fan should run, if there is a fault with the cooling fan the engine management detects this and so won't allow the AC compressor to switch on.

The cooling fan usually suffers with corrosion in the fan housing, if this is the case a new fan is required.

Start with making sure the cooling fan switches on and go from there.

Let me know if I can assist further, if so let me know what other checks you have done.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sean

The cooling fan is not turning on when you press AC button but the fan spins freely and doesn't seem corroded from looking down the engine bay is the further test i can do to to see if it is the fan that's dead

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
as the fan is controlled by the engine management control module the only way to detect if the fan is faulty is to have a scan of the engine management done and see if there are fan circuit codes stored.
The problem is that it can be the control circuit that has the problem which means the engine management won't switch the fan on. There was a recall for fan failures on he Focus it may be that yours is still outstanding.
Let me know if I can assist further.
Best regards,
Sean.