sean
sean , Car and LCV technician
Experience:  UK City & Guilds qualified with 30 years experience
31670004

Ford Kuga: Hi we have a ford kuga which has done 30,000 miles

Hi we have a ford kuga which has done 30,000 miles and will be 3 years old in September. For a number of months now the revs have gone up and down while driving along meaning a loss of power. We've been told its a problem with the clutch and today the garage have taken it out and told us its worn down to the rivets. The car has never been driven in any way to be hard on the clutch and I'm finding it hard to believe its wear and tear. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot
Category: UK Car
Expert:  martin jones replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA.com, i will try to assist you with your problem, before i continue, can i have your complete vin number, it will be either in your log book or also on your front windscreen area, normally on the passenger side, with this i can check any outstanding actions on your car, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX await your reply, kind regards martin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for coming back to me. The VIN is WFORXXGCDRAB10118

Really appreciate your help as the garage are pushing us to go back to them tomorrow to ok the work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Haven't had an answer from Martin yet and I need to go back to the garage this morning. Thanks
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm sorry Martin hasn't come back to you, do you still require assistance with this concern?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi yes I'm still waiting on answer so would appreciate your help. Thanks
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

Unfortunately at 30000 miles and 3 years old a clutch failure would be classed as wear and tear by Ford but you can try a few options. The exception to this been wear and tear would be if the failure was caused by another component, either the slave cylinder leaking causing contamination of the clutch or if the dual mass flywheel (DMF) had failed causing the clutch to start to slip.

Ask the garage if the DMF is OK as it's not uncommon for this to fail on this engine.

If the fault is the same as it was a couple of months ago I'm surprised the garage couldn't reproduce the concern and identify it then.

If the garage are adamant it's wear and tear you could try speaking to Ford customer services and ask for a goodwill contribution given the low mileage and age of the car, tell them you don't think it's acceptable for the clutch to last such a short time, tell them you don't use the car for towing either. Ford customer services number is XXXXX

Start with the above points, let me know if I can assist further or if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean, Car and LCV technician
Experience: UK City & Guilds qualified with 30 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks a lot for your help. Have managed to agree a goodwill payment towards the cost of the repair which is better than nothing.
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

I'm glad I could help.

Best wishes,

Sean.