Rob
Rob, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  city and guilds level 1 2and 3. mot tester , 28 years experience set up training college in afghanistan
16305601

Audi Q7: What is the life expectancy of an Audi Q7 2008 chain

Customer Question

What is the life expectancy of an Audi Q7 2008 chain timing belts
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to just answer.

there is no recommendation to replace the chain which would suggest that it should last

for the life of the vehicle.

can I ask what the problem is ?

regards rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the timing belt which is a chain type belt has broken and damaged substantial parts of the engine

Adrian

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Adrian.

there are many reasons why a timing chain will fail.

is this something you are trying to claim for?

regards rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I know it's long shot, but wanted to enquire first,

the thing is I am looking at a £15,000 repair job

Adrian

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Adrian.

I am sorry for not replying sooner but the just answer site was faulty and would not let me open the question but now you have my sole attention .

I am going to need a lot detail from you and will start with one question.

can you prove your service history is up to date and with a dealer or not?

regards rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, all services done with audi dealer, including previous owner, have services book

Regards

Adrian

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Adrian.

that's good .

can you tell me if Audi have said what the cause is?

did you hear any strange noises before the damage occurred ?

any recent problems with the engine?

what is the current mileage?

when was the last service carried out and what type of service?

regards rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Audi mechanic have only said that the timing chain broke and damaged the engine but have not said any cause

I did not notice any strange noises just broke down

No problems with engine just was driving OK

around 170km

Last service was changing oil, putting in computer, changing breaks and was carried out about six months ago

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Adrian

I noticed that you are in Gibraltar my son lives across the border on the square.

FIRSTLY YOU WILL NEED TO CHECK THE WARRANTY AS GIB IS CLASSED AS NOT IN THE EUROPEAN UNION HENCE THE INCREDIBLY CHEAP CIGIES.

THIS MAY HAVE A DIFFRENT WARRANTY FROM THE UK or EU.

As the timing chain is not a serviceable component and has broken then I would describe this as not fit for the purpose and would write a strong letter of complaint to Audi not the local dealer but the head office for Audi that covers Gib

I have known timing chain problems on other models to have broken outside of the warranty period and they have made a contribution to the cost. this would be my first approach.

secondly I would not pay 15K for this to be fixed a re manufactured engine fitted would be half this cost.

I WILL PRESS THE ANSWER BUTTON AS THIS IS MY ANSWER BUT YOU CAN STILL COMUNICATE WITH ME ON THIS IF YOU NEED MORE ADVICE ETC.

REGARDS ROB

Rob, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: city and guilds level 1 2and 3. mot tester , 28 years experience set up training college in afghanistan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rob,

thanks for all your help, I agree 15k is a lot and I am looking at other alternatives

will prepare letter and send to audi

again thanks for everything

Regards

Adrian

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Adrian.

your welcome and remember if you need more help Just answer has experts in all fields.

good luck .

regards rob