Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Mazda RX-7: Last week I tried to start it and it had no power.

Last week I tried to start it and it had no power. I tried to jump it and the starter would just click, I took the battery and had it checked and it was good. I put it back in it and it had power until I tried to start it and then it went dead. it sat for a few days and I tried to start it and it started, I let it run for a while and turned it off and then started it again. Today I started it and drove it to the gas station and when I tried to start it had no power. I had it towed home and tried to jump it and the starter would click and the tack would jump. I checked the battery terminals at the starter and battery. What do I check next?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome back to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help you with this issue.

As to what you need to check... at this stage as you have had the battery tested - we will assume it is indeed good and ok...

So - first - ensure the battery connections are good / good condition and tight. check where the actual cables go into the connector fitting are good - If its not starting at the moment... have someone hold the key in the start position.... and then at the same time - you grip the cables just before the connectors on the battery and give them a good tug / wiggle... You cant see inside of course but sometimes you get a bad connection inside the connector ( try the two / both in the same way ).... If the engine then starts to turn as you do that - you know you have a bad connector / cable there / cable joint.

If thats all ok - then follow the cables down from the battery - use the black / ground one first - Follow it to where it connects to the body - check its connection -and check it the same way as above ... Then - check the cable that connects between the body and the engine / trans... ion the same way as above. This is the ground / earth circuit tested.

If you dont find the problem - do the same with the red Pos cable - follow it to where it connects to the rear of the alternator - check that connection is good...

Check then that the connector at the back of the starter motor is good and tight -

If thats all ok - then remove the small connector from there starter motor rear.. this is your "trigger" cable - when you turn the key to the "start" position - that cable should show battery voltage on a test meter - of at least 12v... Test that.. If thats ok - replace the connector - check its tight - then retry the starting. If its now ok, you had a bad connection there - which is quite common. If its still not starting - and all the other checks as above are all ok - then the starter motor is suspect and needs to be removed for further test / investigation - and then go from there.

IF you don't get a 12v feed / reading when tested as above, then you need to check the ignition circuit .

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.