Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Audi A6 Quattro: 2001 audi a6 Quattro 2.7t, when I turn key

2001 audi a6 Quattro 2.7t, when I turn key to start get a loud type of clunking clanking sound difficult to start this started gradually. When the car starts no noise
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE..

Your symptoms are that of a faulty starter motor itself.

The starter motor is made up of heavy spring to drive the cog into the flywheel of the car engine to turn the engine, to start it.

What happens is when the starter fails or goes faulty in this way , the spring is either broken or gone weak - or the cog drive is faulty -and when operated, energized by you turning the key , you will get this noise / sound.

Once the car is running, you wont get the noise because the starter motor is no longer in use - it is only ever in use , when energized by you turning the key to "start" the engine.

So the starter motor needs checking out - The first thing to check is that its not actually come loose - we see that on occasion - that its mounting bolts are tight... of course if that has happened, it just needs re tighten to the engine / transmission.... but if its ok in that regard, it then needs removing for inspection and usually replacement / renewal to cure this issue for you.

When the starter motor is removed, the drive cog ( on the flywheel called the Ring gear ) should be fully inspected for any damage caused by the faulty starter motor also )

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime... >>>- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When replacing starter do I need to remove alternater