Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

toyota hilux: I have a 2008 Toyota hilux 3.0 d4d engine management

I have a 2008 Toyota hilux 3.0 d4d engine management light came on the van started to lose power... took it to Toyota they said injectors... but it only happens some times and goes back to normal when I switch it off...
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im sorry to hear of your troubles.

When the dealer did the plug in diagnostic test, they will have retrieved fault codes logged in the ECU - engine management computer - which will be there because of the fault ( the ECU - engine management light comes on to tell you that has occurred - that it has "seen" the fault/s and logged relevant fault codes )

As the fault is only happening sometimes, then its in the early stages of problems - it will get worse over time so that you then end up having to have the job done as they have said.

To help you understand the way it works, when you switch off - this kills power to the ecu so that it then will reset -- and the light wont come on again , not until the Ecu "sees" that , in this case the injectors, are not operating correctly - within specs etc - and so it then will again, at that time, log the fault again -and switch the light on again for you -

So you can continue with it at present - when it gets so that it wont reset - or the light keeps coming on - more of the time or continually - then you will need to have them do the work as needed for you to stop this happening and cure the issue for you properly -

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime... >>>- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But could it be anything else other then the injectors
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply..

Strictly with the results of the test, the answer to that is no...

It could yes - but there is no reason at all that it should be.. What I mean is, there are literally lots of things that can cause the ecu light to come on - the Ecu is capable of logging dozens - hundreds of fault codes as it monitors the whole of the engine management system and all its parameters..

You have paid to have the plug in diagnostic done -and they have done that.

The diagnostic have shown according to them, fault codes to tell them its the injectors that are triggering the fault code system / light - as they haven't said it showed any other fault codes, then thats all it will be.

Incidentally - the reason the vehicle loses power as you mentioned - is because of one,. the fault in itself ands two, because when the ecu puts the fault light on, it also invokes what is called Limp Home or Safe mode.... meaning that rather than optimum engine management control, it sets into a default running mode - meaning that the car will still drive enough to get you home -to a garage etc rather than a full breakdown ... its a default setting to "get you home"... running in base control values. When you reset the system by switching off and on again - as discussed before - you are back to full power - until it "sees" the fault again -and goes into Limp home mode again....

I hope that answers / helps you further - but by all means ask me if there is anything else you are not clear on or anything else you need.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

>>>>>>>>> Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings system for me now at this point as that is how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that.

Nb - You can get back to me anytime you might need / wish on this after.. clicking the OK ratings does not close you out -

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.