Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic and MOT tester for 18 years. Excellent knowledge of cars and the MOT testing scheme.

206: hi,im paul.when i press the clutch pedal down in my peugoet

hi,i'm paul.when i press the clutch pedal down in my peugoet(NNN) NNN-NNNNthe pedal gives me the feeling through my foot,that it is ocilating or pulsing.i don't know what it could be.the clutch does'nt slip,and the gear change is you know what it could be?.
Good evening and thank you very much for your question.

Your vehicle is fitted with a dual mass flywheel (DMF).

A Dual Mass Flywheel is basically two components (the primary & secondary mass) linked together by a damping mechanism within the secondary mass and located by the central carrier bearing. The damping mechanism is there to absorb the torque loads of the crankshaft and to help deliver a smooth transfer to the road wheels via the clutch.

As time passes and the vehicle's mileage increases the damping mechanism softens and weakens. As the mileage increases the damping mechanism becomes weaker to the point where the movement between the primary and secondary masses becomes excessive. When this happens the flywheel tends to vibrate or rattle when driving, and sometimes when starting and switching off the engine.

I suspect that this is what has happened to your car. The bad news is that the DMF and the clutch assembly, including the bearing, will need to be replaced.

It's difficult to predict how long you will be able to continue to drive, but I would suggest having it looked at sooner rather than later, as they can fail suddenly.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need any further help, please reply to this answer.

Regards, Gary.
Hi Paul.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your 206 is now running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.
PS, thank you very much for the bonus!