Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic and MOT tester for 18 years. Excellent knowledge of cars and the MOT testing scheme.
11179493

A140: Can you jumpstart an old Toyota Corolla with a 2004 model

Can you jumpstart an old Toyota Corolla with a 2004 model Mercedes A140?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gary Robinson replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon and thank you very much for your question.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to jump start a Corolla from an A140.
You should follow the advice below to avoid any problems.
Firstly, connect the positive (red) end of one lead to the positive (+) terminal of the flat battery.
Then, connect the other end of the lead to the positive terminal on the Mercedes battery.
Next, the negative (black) to the negative terminal on the good battery.
Finally, the other end of the negative cable to a metal point (such as a bolt or bracket) that is away from the dead battery. This will act as an earthing point.
Check that the leads are away from any moving parts, check that both cars are in neutral, with the hand brakes on.
Start the Mercedes engine first, and then the Corolla.
Once the Corolla is running, remove the leads in the reverse order to the way you connected them. Take care not to short the cables out, as this can cause severe damage to the engine management systems.
Leave the Corolla running for a while, or better still, take it for a run to charge the battery.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need any further help, please reply to this answer.

Regards, Gary.
Hi.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your Corolla is now running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.