Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

c230: ok, so I just changed the fuel filter and got a tiny

Customer Question

ok, so I just changed the fuel filter and got a tiny improvement, I still have a lot of misses. the coils checked out good, I just changed the plugs not long ago. I still have a bad idle but the strange thing is that it will smooth out for a few sec then it is ruff again, also I have what looks like soot on my MAS and in my air box/filter. I pulled the valve cover with the motor at OT and the CAM timing marks looked a little off but I have been unable to find a diagram to show the correct position for my 05 C230. I am stumped right now and could use some more help. also how much slack should the timing chain have? I can get around 1/2" maybe a tad bit more of play from the chain as of right now.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Billy :

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

It seems that the mechanic you requested is currently offline, so i've read your question, and will try to assist with this.

Billy :

Hello! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed. Your requested expert seems to be offline, so i will try to help you with this.

Billy :

The bad idle on this model, is most commonly caused by the air mass meter, and since you say it has soot on it, i would replace it.

Billy :

Then i would check for any vacuum leaks within the intake system (hope you already fixed the compressor hoses that you talked about earlier).

Billy :

Having performed these, you can get to check the timing, and slack your getting is about normal, as there are the variable valve timing actuators installed.

Billy :

Here is the timing diagram you are requesting:

Billy :

In your case, i would also make sure to clean the throttle body, and if you have the following symptoms:

Billy :

• Idle speed high: 1000 rpm.

• Whistling noise from throttle body area.

• No trouble codes stored in memory.

• All air pipes are correctly fitted and have no air leaks.

Billy :

Then replace the throttle body.

Billy :

Since you have the valve cover open, check if you have any grease like substance in engine, as it would cause the valve lifters to malfunction, causing idle problems, misfire and some ticking noise. In which case,i would start by flushing the engine, and replacing oil and filter.

Billy :

As for the noise you are getting from the timing area, you need to remove the drive belt, run the engine for 10 seconds, and check if the noise persists, then it is from the timing area (if not, it would be related to the belt, one of its pulleys or tensioners), in which case, you need to replace the timing chain and tensioners (as included in details above).

Billy :

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more info...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your answer. I do have codes stored they are, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304 and P0456. The last one I have had for more then a year and have been unable to find the source of the leak I had 2 different shops look at it and the both just changed the gas cap and cleared the code for it to return soon after. The car was running fine till the other day when I started it and heard loud valve clatter then I got the lopping/ruff idle. The compressor piping is good but I am not so sure about the way the compressor sounding using an automotive stethoscope, it sounds a little ruff (kind of like a roar more then a wine) but this is the first time I have listened to one in this way. I will be getting a new MAS soon but what would cause the soot on it. I have never seen this before on any of my other cars and is it possible to clean the one I have? (I have heard that it will sometimes work with other cars.) When I changed the fuel filter the gas that came out of one of the connections was black. If any of the injectors were clogged would this cause a code or just the generic misfire code? Is there a way to flush the injectors that you know of other then fuel treatment or replacing them? If they are clogged would you be able to tell a pawn visual inspection. I have some gaskets to order and I will be standing watch for the next 4 nights so I will be unable to work on the car until Monday. if you can think of anything else that I can check or information I can provide you with to help with this issue please let me know and I will do every thing I can to get it for you.

Customer:

Thank you very much for replying to my question, expect very good rating when complete!

Customer:

Also I found oil in the connectors of the sensors on the front of the camshafts.

Billy :

Hello!

Customer:

hi

Billy :

I already know about the codes (as i read all your previous conversations), and it is possible that you have clogged injectors, but i would leave this for now. The problem having started following a loud valve rattle, would further confirm the oil issue, so i would perform an engine flush, then replace oil and filter. The soot getting to the air mass would most likely be caused by a worn air filter (dust gets in, and it burns on the hot film, turning to soot), so i would also replace the air filter. If you have no symptoms cited above for changing the throttle body, then do not change it, however, make sure you clean it. After you perform these (engine flush, oil change, air mass meter change, clean the throttle body etc..) the problem should be solved, given the symptoms we already know.... get back to me however with your results, or if further info is needed.

Billy :

As for the P0456, you need to check the fuel tank pressure sensor and the purge control valve, and their related hoses... However, these should not cause any of the idle problems, so you can leave that to solve this step by step.

Customer:

Ok so Monday I will preform the engine flush, oil change and clean the throttle body and get back to you. Is it possible for me to clean the MAS with MAS cleaner and how should the supercharger sound?

Billy :

You can try and clean the air mass meter, by spraying some spray on it, and then blowing some compressed air to dry it out. The supercharger should have a whine, like a bearing spinning really fast.

Customer:

I will also try cleaning the MAS. The supercharger may be going also because it sounds more like when a wheel bearing is bad then a whine.

Billy :

Let's focus on one thing, so we solve this step by step.... That would be the best way to go for now, as you have many faults that appear to be interconnected.... this way we go through the urgent ones first, most likely ones, and get to the culprit by logic and elimination (and hard work of course)

Customer:

ok, sounds good. we will fix the idle and ruff running first then focus on the rest. I look forward to working with you and thank you very much again for your help!

Billy :

You're most welcome... looking forward to get the results on this one (hopefully some good news...), and we will take it from there...

Billy :

Good luck for now....

Customer:

Hey so i just got back from doing the engine flush and cleaning the throttle body, still no improvement. apon removing the throttle body i did see some oil in front of the butterfly valve and even more in the piping coming off the supercharger muffler into the throttle body. i am stuck, any ideas?

Billy :

Billy :

Are you still getting the same fault codes (300.....456)?

Billy :

is the compressor noise getting worse?

Billy :

have you double checked the timing, if marks are on the spot (as detailed in pdf sent earlier)?

Customer:

I didn't have time to pull the valve cover again so I couldn't check the timing yesterday and the compressor noise is the same along with the codes. the idle will smooth out every now and then for a few seconds but then it goes back to the lopping. I checked the connectors for the cam adjuster magnets and found some oil in them as well. any idea why there is oil in the air piping? I have never ran into this issue before.

Billy : Hello,
Billy : The oil in the air inlet would be caused by a crack in the compressor, or a problem in the breather system (the oil vapor from the sump to the air inlet).
Billy : Accordingly i would start by checking the pcv hose and valve (A and B):
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
This valve and hose (A and B):

here is the link for A and B (photo):7
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzdEk5Y09tZEU4ZkU/edit?usp=sharing

And then check the hoses on the compressor, for any leaks, cracks etc...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to order a new timing chain, 2 cam adjuster magnants, and a referbed supercharger since the one i have now is currently making lots of noise and i will have to pull it to replace the check valve that you pointed out earler. the dark oil in the throttle body is really disconserding. i figured that i would go ahead and change the timing chain while i was at it sence the car is at 125000 miles. i also ordered the timing chain retainer so that i can draw the chain through with out dismanting the engien. are there any other special tools that i may need for these jobs or tips that you would recomend. i am also going to get 2 new wire harneses going to the cam adjuster magnents as they are oil soked with oil also from the leaking cam adjuster magnents.also it nolonger gives me the option to rate you to alow you to get credit. i wanted to give a good rating.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Thomas,

The oil would be caused by either the compressor, the PCV or the check valve referred to earlier, so check these, and you should get the solution.

As for the special tools, there are some needed, and they all are included in the timing diagram posted earlier.

Waiting for your results, hopefully some good news.

Regards, Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer - master tech., SAE member
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
PS: on this page, to rate positively, you click the ACCEPT button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are all the tools listed in the earlyer diagram when just drawing in the timeing chain as in

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eurotec/2011-03-31_004533_drawing_in_timing_chain.pdf

or do i just need what it showes in the pdf?

many thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Thomas,

Both PDF files indicate the same tools, however in the diagram sent by eurotec, one tool which is the case incorporates many tools, that is why it looks like his diagram requires less tools.

Hope this clears out the issue... get back to me if further info or details are needed.

Regards, Billy