Ross
Ross, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  licensed Honda technician and general car mechanic
70583916

Volvo V70 2.4: I have a Volvo V70 station and there is a warning

I have a Volvo V70 station and there is a warning in my instrument screen. It says "Brake error, stop immediately" and there is one red warning message (The "!") and two yellow: one for traction control and one for ABS. The Cruise Control suddenly does not work any more and also the mileage meter and day counter are not working. It seems to be a common problem for this type of car. Any suggestions?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help with your question

Customer:

Hi! You seem to offline and I am new to this forum. Not sure how this works...

Customer:

I appreciate your effort of course :-) I bought this car second hand and according to the seller it had passed the yearly test late December 2012 without any problems. After one day of driving I received this message of the brakes and all the warning lights on the dashboard. I am a bit afraid to drive this car now, as I don't like the red error lights. And my girl will take the car tomorrow for a 40 km return trip...

Customer:

I am even thinking of calling the seller, because he assured me that there was nothing wrong with the car. It seems to be very unlucky and unlikely that this problem suddenly appears after I have been driving the car for only a few (approximately 150) km.

techmachine :

Hi, thank you for getting back to me, All of these lights are related to the ABS modulator, which controls the ABS and traction control system. While this is on, the ABS and traction control will not work so this is a safety issue however the vehicle brakes will otherwise operate as normal so its possible to drive the car as normal.

This problem is usually caused by the control unit on the ABS modulator its self, while these lights are on there is a fault code stored, ideally the car needs to be taken to a garage that can plug it in to find the cause of the fault.

techmachine :

The fact its come on shortly after you purchased the vehicle may nothing more than back luck unfortunately, this fault usually happens suddenly and randomly.

Customer:

Thanks! So you think this is a "software" issue instead of a "hardware" issue?

techmachine :

It is a hardware issue but its within the computerised part of the ABS. The control unit needs to be replaced or repaired by an electronics specialist to cure the problem, its not something that can be re-set which is why its unlikely the original owner knew about this problem. Of course it does need to be plugged in to confirm for definite but this is a very common problem on these.

Customer:

OK I will have to take this to the Volvo (preferably?) garage then and get it checked. Itg

Customer:

Oops, too fast. It feels ok to let my girl drive this car and let it checked out later this week.

techmachine :

I would advise a Volvo garage as they have the best diagnostic software to access the faults, they should know of the problem well and be able to advise you of the cheapest repair. There will be no problems driving the car, but be cautious as the vehicle will skid much easier if the brakes are applied suddenly.

Customer:

OK thank you so much.

techmachine :

No problem! I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you, Ross.

Customer:

I will rate you the highest, as you were very quick with answering. Thanks again, have a lovely evening.

Ross, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: licensed Honda technician and general car mechanic