Ross
Ross , Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Ford fusion 3: hi there i have a ford fusion 3 1.6 16v 2004

hi there i have a ford fusion 3 1.6 16v 2004 i had all 16 valves changed after timing belt snapped i need help to identify the correct settings of rocker and valve clearance please help! jan

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help with your question

Customer:

Hi Ross i have a ford fusion 3 1.6 16v 2004

Customer:

my timing belt snapped and all 16 valves were replaced i need to know the correct clearance for valve and correct order of rockers

techmachine :

Right no problem.

INLET - 0,20 mm
EXHAUST 0,34 mm

They should be checked when COLD only.

Customer:

thankyou so much can you give me the correct order by numbers for rockers pls

techmachine :

The order in which you adjust them?

Customer:

yes please

techmachine :

There is no specific order, I always start with the number 1 cylinder intake side (far left) and work to the right, while rotating the engine until the bottom of the cam lobe is sat on the rocker surface, rotate the engine as necessary for each cylinder. Then repeat for the Exhaust side.

Customer:

each rocker has a number do these have to go in any particular order?

techmachine :

No, as long as the camshaft is rotated so its not pushing on the rocker while you adjust it there is no order.

Customer:

Thankyou so very much i really appreciate your support!

Customer:

when the valves were changed the caps were mixed up i need to know if they have an order?

techmachine :

Ah right, Yes the shims/tappets should be put back in the order they came out, If they have been mixed up, its good practice to replace them with new ones, however I have known people to re-use them in a new order, it can cause premature wear otherwise.

Customer:

would you know what order they would be? as all of them have numbers

techmachine :

My manual doesn't show the positions for each number, bare with me I will see if my other manuals do.

Customer:

thankyou

techmachine :

Right, my other manual does not show the numbers, it does say as the adjustment is made by measuring at the shims, you should be able to mix and match the shims providing it gives you the correct clearance.

Customer:

Thankyou so much you have been very helpfull!

techmachine :

No problem I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you, Ross.