Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Hyundai Sonata SE: Hi...Im Awad from Libya, my brother bought

Hi...
I`m Awad from Libya, my brother bought a Hyundai sonata SE limited 2011 from NY via internet, and the owner shipped it to Libya, unfortunately It came with one key and my brother lost it, so how can he get another one??
Also if I send the VIN number and bought a new smart key could you program it and cut it?? if you can`t who can??? because in Libya they don`t know how to do it.

Billy :

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

The only personnel authorized and able to duplicate a Hyundai key, would be the Hyundai dealer. So have you checked the dealer in your country, and asked them for a duplicate (obviously, they will require proof of ownership)?

Customer:

We don`t have authorized hyundai dealer in Libya, that`s why I asked!!!

Customer:

any other solutions???

Billy :

Billy :

The other solution, would be to contact Hyundai on this page: http://worldwide.hyundai.com/WW/ContactUs/index.html

Billy :

Explain your case, and they should be able to send you a key, according to the VIN number (chassis number), and proof of ownership.

Billy :

Get back to me with your results or if further info is needed

Billy :

Regards, Billy

Customer:

still waiting for hyundai to answer..I`ll tell you what they say when they do..

Billy :

Best of luck for now!

Customer: Sorry for being late, unfortunately hyundai didn`t answer my question yet, so I want to ask you another question.
Customer: Can the smart key remote reprogrammed using VIN number only?? I mean no need for the presence of the car or it must be present for reprogramming the remote??
Customer: I really want to reprogram it outside Libya because they reprogram it here without permission of hyundai company, so I`m afraid of being robbed by them, that`s why I`m so worried about reprogram it. Also I have the ownership paper, but don`t have drive license like someone told me that it must be present.
Customer: Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp
Billy : Hello Awad,
Billy : My apologies for the delay.
Billy : You should have the vehicle present in order to program a new key. As the new key will have to be paired with the vehicle.
Billy : So the smart key cannot be programmed using the VIN only, the car must be present.
Billy : Having a driver's license should not affect this, as the company should only require proof of ownership to provide the key.
Billy : I hope this answers your last query. Get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed.
Billy : REgards, Billy.