sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee WH 3.0 CRD V6 year 2005 (Ref.:

Customer Question

I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee WH 3.0 CRD V6 year 2005 (Ref.: 1J8HC48M35Y578958). The engine is broken and i want to rebuild it! I have 4 questions: 1st What colour of Bearing Upper and Lower Crankshaft, and what quantity have i to buy? 2nd What size of Thrust Bearing std (2.15 or 2.20 mm) and quantity to buy? 3rd What quantity of Ring Pistons Std Parts Kits (Ref.: 05175364AA) is required? 4th Is EGR valve repairable (still closed while cruising) and do you have an adress to do that very cheap?
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for 1st response. I prefer waiting a few time again for an expert to be definitely fixed on these topics.

Regards.

Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.
The color and quantity of the main bearings depends on what your specific engine was built with. Each engine is assembled with different bearings depending on crankshaft and engine block measurements. There are stampings on the engine block and crankshaft that can be used to determine the bearings needed, but the easiest way to tell what bearings you need is to look at the old ones. When the old bearings are removed you will be able to see the color code on them and then you can order the correct amounts of which ones you need. There are three sizes of upper main bearings and five lower, your particular engine could have any combination of sizes and quantities.

On the thrust bearing you would also need to look at the old one to determine size. Otherwise you could measure crankshaft end play with the original one in place. Record the measurement and then when the engine is disassembled measure the thickness of the bearing. Compare the end play with the specification and the remaining thickness of the thrust bearing to determine which one you need. There is a single thrust bearing in the engine.

The piston ring kits come as a set for one piston only. You'd need six of the piston ring kits to do the entire engine.

There aren't any service procedures or internal repair parts for the EGR valve. Once it is removed it can be expected for excessive carbon buildup and then cleaned if necessary, but other than that if the valve isn't working correctly it would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Thanks a lot for your answer.Please find hereafter the references required (seen on old parts): Thrust A6420062 R9, A6420162 R9, Main bearings A6420801 R9 RE4352, A6420002 R9 RE4362

I hope you can give me the right order references for these items now! For rings pistons i saw on Mopar website qty2 required! Perhaps 1 set is for 1/2 engine!? please have a look and confirm qty to order for complete engine. Awaiting for your answer to close this file. Best regards.

Per the Mopar parts catalog each piston ring set is for one cylinder.

Do you have your VIN available so I can look up the correct part numbers for everything else?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

The only reference i saw on mine (gray) card is 1J8HC48M35Y578958. I suppose this is VIN. Please check.

Best regards

The numbers you found are very similar to Mercedes part numbers but they aren't matching anything.

Were you able to see any colors on them? We may have to look at the stampings on the crank and block to get the correct bearings.