Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Kia Carens: Hi I have a Kia Carens 08 plate. When I am going

Hi I have a Kia Carens 08 plate. When I am going up gear from 1st to 2nd to 3rd I have a juddering, once up to speed it appears fine. On occasion there is also a slight hesitation at speed when on the motorway. The judder does not happen when coming down gear, it is on acceleration to changing up gear.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry.
Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Do you get the judder while shifting, or all the way through the gear?
was anything checked yet (engine mounts, trans. mounts, torque converter)?
do you have any other symptoms or problems (including any warning lights on dash)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its when accelerating to shift up gear, possibly judder is giving the wrong impression of the problem. It is a more of a severe hesitation. if I didn't know better I would say it is like running out of petrol and hoping that it will just go a little bit further before it packs in.

The problem is also reminiscent of my first few cars where I had a throttle for cold start, depending on too much or too little throttle the car didn't run well until it was warm.

This however happens whether the car is cold or running for a length of time. The only other odd thing I have noticed is the sound of water tricking which is coming from the passenger dash area, very strange. No leaks anywhere just the sound of tricking water.

No warning lights at all which is why I am making the query as I would have expected the car to detect this problem. You can drive for a couple of days and it doesn't happen then for the next 4 its all the time. I have had the car regularly serviced and they have also looked at it they cant find the fault until a light come on.

Some months ago on a couple of occasions the car wouldn't go into 1st first for the whole of 1 day and has been fine since.

I have had this car from new. Hope any of that garble makes sense

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

The way you describe it, i would first check the engine for hesitation (although this might sound like a transmission problem)...

Check the ground points in engine bay and under the carpets in driver and passenger foot wells, make sure you have clean and tight contacts with no water ingress, dampness or rust on these. Then, check the connectors on both the engine and transmission control modules under the dash board, make sure you have clean and tight contacts as well, so we proceed accordingly. Obviously, i'm suspecting an electrical problem causing this, so let's check these and take it from there...

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more info...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Regards, Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer - master tech., SAE member
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. The trickling water is from my air con and a second treatment of redex has calmed down the engine hesitation