Ross
Ross , Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

hi there I have a transit connect tdci 2003 model. dirves very

hi there I have a transit connect tdci 2003 model. dirves very well turbo is fine but have puffs of thick smoke when accelerating hard egr valve or injectors??? any advice would be great thanks william
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help with your question

techmachine :

Was the fuel filter changed with the service?

Customer:

yes it was changed in the full service

techmachine :

Ok great. Black smoke like this certainly can be caused by the EGR, Its a common problem on these so I advise you try a blanking plate, you can fit this to blank of the EGR all together, if the smoke stops the EGR is the problem if not, its often down to the Air flow meter, if this is not reading correctly it can over fuel. The best advice is always to get the van plugged into a diagnostic scanner to see if there are any fault codes as this can save a lot of time and money.

Because there is a lot of thick black smoke, I would suspect the air flow meter rather than the EGR, but its still possible.

techmachine :

You could try to unplug the air flow meter, this will resort to base settings but if you find the smoke is no longer present, this confirms the air flow sensor, however if there is a boost leak this can also cause black smoke, having the air flow sensor disconnected will often reduce the boost created by the turbo which will result in less smoke so if there is a possibility of a boost leak this should be checked first before the air flow sensor is confirmed as faulty.

Customer:

okay that's great. when I had the van in the garage he said that there was a fault code and I think he may have mentioned the air flow meter If so is the airflow meter a costly job?? and you wouldn't suspect in being injectors or fuel pump??

techmachine :

I would not suspect the injectors or pump at this point, if anything your more likely to get less smoke under load if the injectors are leaking etc.. If there was an air flow fault code, this would make a lot of sense! I will see if I can get a rough price for you to give you a rough idea of the cost.

Customer:

thankyou for your help I will get it hooked up to machine and find out. hopefully this is the problem and hopefully not to costly. thanks will

techmachine :

I can only find a price for an after-market sensor, according to my parts system they retail at £97, this is however made by Hella who made the original Ford part so it should be as good, there are other makes which are slightly less and usually just as good. A genuine sensor will be a bit more from a Dealer, but it takes no more than 15 mins to fit so there is very little labour involved. Its a simple part to fit your self if you prefer, just two band clamps and one connector plug and it pulls out.

techmachine :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If you need further assistance, please feel free to ask, I will be happy to help!

Customer:

thanks again