Ross
Ross, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  licensed Honda technician and general car mechanic
70583916

Volkswagen Golf: i have a 2002 vw golf 1.4 petrol making a

i have a 2002 vw golf 1.4 petrol making a graunching nose when pulling off from standstill, when in motion and changing gears its ok. do these models have a dual mass flywheel or have i got a bigger problem??
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help with your question

Customer:

hi ross

Customer:

have you seen the original questiojn?

techmachine :

Yes I have your description of the problem. Only the diesel models were fitted with a DMF at this age so this is not going to be the cause.

Customer:

ok so what do you reckon then its an intermittent sound

Customer:

fine while driving, just pulling off it sounds like a crunching/grinding sound

techmachine :

Is the noise happening during the take-up of the clutch only?

Customer:

yeah when pulling off

Customer:

wow this chat window is not doing any favours here

techmachine :

Ok, sorry about that, I will switch this to Q&A Mode, please refresh your page and it should make it a bit easier for you to chat.

Customer:

just refreshed mate thanks

Ross, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: licensed Honda technician and general car mechanic
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry about that, hopefully now this will work a bit better for you.

Right, I know its difficult to explain noises on here, but would you say its a loud grind or is it quite "deep" and muffled? And did this start suddenly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Loud grind, not muffled..yes started as luck would have it as soon as we had bought the car home from the dealer. was fine on the test drive...

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, there is ultimately going to be two causes of this by the sound of it i would say either the clutch or the gearbox. If the clutch is heavily worn the rivets will be coming into contact with the flywheel, this will cause a metallic grinding noise as the bite is taken up, if this is the case the clutch has worn beyond its limit and you would probably find it will start to grind when driving after some time.

Otherwise the gearbox would be the next likely cause, the golfs at this age suffered with a lot of gearbox problems, if the main or lay shaft bearings or failing they make a grinding when torque and load is applied. A good test is to start the engine, and listen carefully to the sound of the engine, depress the clutch pedal and wait 5 seconds, then release the clutch pedal, you will notice a whirring noise dissaper then re-appear as you lift the clutch, this would indicate failing gearbox bearings.