Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

corsa 1.2 sxi: 2006 corsa 1.2 sxi starts then dies after a

Customer Question

2006 corsa 1.2 sxi
starts then dies after a few seconds .
will eventually start and run fine but takes several attempts over 15 20 minutes.
when it starts it may run fine over rest of the day.but if you leave it any length of time it does it again ,
was told it might be the clocks but changed them and it still the same .
Any help appreciated as pulling hair out .
Colin
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

This sounds like a failing fuel pump or a bad fuel filter ,

Have a fuel pump pressure test and a pressure drop test , you may have a problem with the fuel pressure regulators ,

Have your mechanic check for malfunction codes , if you have any codes then get back to me with the codes so i can assist you if needed.

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry fuel pump has been found to be ok .steady supply of fuel every time no intermittent supply
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin,

Please do not rate poor service as it was not poor service was just something you have already tried and not said in your question ?,

Just get back to me with the reply box below

Was a Fuel leak down test done .

When was the last tune up done (Spark Plugs etc)

Dis you check foe malfunction codes ,(is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry thought I had to rate everythime I replied .sometimes the battery and ABS light stay on but you stop the car then restart it and they go away no codes stored on system.yhis happens when you eventually get it started
No leaks etc plugs and all done recently
Colin
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin .

With a voltmeter check the voltage output of the battery when the engine is running .

Connect to battery as shown below

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Ignition ON engine OFF you should have 12+ volts , then have a helper start the engine as engine starts voltage should be 1.5 volts min . then once started you should have
13.5 - 14.3 volts with the engine running .

I'm thinking you have a bad alternator so if the voltage is good with the engine running switch on the lights A/C if you have one and rev engine to 2000rpm you should still have good voltage around 14 volts if drops to less than 13 volts replace alternator .

If all is okay then please get back to me with the reply box

Register Here

Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have carried out checks and all is good going to try new crankshaft sensor to see if it makes any difference

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin .
Did you check for malfunction codes ,

If so what where the codes .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing on the reader changed crankshaft sensor no change

going to start going over it with volt meter.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi .

Colin when you have a no start period check and see what is missing , spark or fuel.

Best whey to go about this is with a spray can of start helper ,when you start the engine in the morning and its just about to stall, spray a squirt of start helper down the throttle body
and if you can keep it running this way then you have a problem with the fuel delivery .
If it still stalls then you have a problem with the spark ignition system .

Try this and let me know what you find out .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have check fuel with gauge and ok and spark is ok as well lot of head scratching being done
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin

Do you have a noid light to check the injection pulse,

Check your vacuum ,low vacuum will do this as well as a vacuum leak .
Low engine compression ,
And just to know what make of spark plugs are you using ,

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry no noid light and using NGK plugs have checked compression and ok
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi .

Okay Colin the plugs are good (NGK) and compression also good .

Need to see when you start if you are getting any interference with the injection pulse when you are starting and stalling .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Think I might have a problem with a relay which controls the injection process should know later tonight
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin is this what the repair shop said ,

Was there any codes that popped up at all .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what the mechanic thinks touch wood fingers crossed
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin ,

Give your mechanic a ring and ask him if he checked for malfunction codes, and if there was any what where the codes .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi one last question then I will close can you swap ECU's between cars as I would like to try another one just to rule it out ie will an ecu from say an 04 model work in my sons 06
All advice appreciated
Colin
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin.

No this will not work as the system are married up to the immo system so if you replace any module you have to reprogram .
Not like the older models where you just pluged in and started .

Must use the dealer tool to program .

Rgds Greg