Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member

I Have a 2000 Volvo non turbo 1.9 litre automatic petrol model,

I Have a 2000 Volvo non turbo 1.9 litre automatic petrol model, I used the car over the weekend on the highway and found if I want to exellerate it wood kick back, the revelusions would go up but the car would not exellerate or go any faster and loose speed instead, please help?
I'm still awaiting an answers on my previous questions.
1. My flickers or turning indicators, Hazards & seatbelt indicator light stopped working. I have cheked all the fuses in the engine comartment & interior fuseboxes, I could'nt find any blown fuses nor any component markings indicating, indicators or hazard fuses.
2. Can the Volvo front suspention be raised, by longer coil springs or can the coil springs just be reset, for the car is very low?

Kind regards,

Fanie
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry.
Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

MY apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Let us confirm a few things, so we proceed accordingly:
- when you accelerate, the rpm goes up, but the vehicle actually slows down?
- the hazard (and turning indicators) indicator on dash stopped working, or the hazard itself does not work?
- did you check if the coils installed are original or lowered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Billy, Thanks for your reply to my questions.

Yes when I accelerate, the rpm goes up, but the vehicle actually slows down.

Yes the hazard and turning indicators all stopped working.

Yes I have replaced them with original coils, plugs & plug wires about 5000 km ago because they were cracked, I have checked all of that again and looks fine, I have also replaced the Mass Airflow meter

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Fanie,

As for the acceleration issue, this is most likely the transmission slipping. Accordingly, you should first check the transmission fluid and filter, and replace accordingly, so we take it from there.

As for the hazard and turning indicators, there is a relay in the dashboard, above the driver's footwell, covered with a plastic trim, remove the trim, replace the relay and the hazard and indicators should work fine.

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more info...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Regards, Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer - master tech., SAE member
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Billy,

One of my earlier unanswered questions is.

1.- Can the Volvo front suspention be raised, by longer coil springs or can the coil springs just be reset, for the car is very low?

2.- I have checked the transmission fluid its ok. Where will the filter be?

There were no problems picked up by the diacnostic test done today everything shows clean. I've replaced the tranmission switch 2 weeks ago when it was doing about the same, When accelerating, it feels like if its starving. I've also replaced the feul filter, with no differance at all. Could it be that the feul pump-presure is to low, How can it be tested?

Thanks,

Fanie

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Fanie,

As for the suspension height, there is no reset for that. You need to have the coils checked, and if they have been lowered (cut), you can install original coils (strut coils) to increase the height.
The transmission filter, is located inside the transmission, on your model, usually the transmission needs dismantling to get to the filter. The transmission fluid needs checking for both quality (color, smell etc..) and quantity (if there is sufficient amount of fluid).

If the problem is: when you press on the accelerator pedal, the engine speed (rpm) increases, while the vehicle speed (actual speed) decreases, Then, the most likely cause would be transmission slipping (so it would not be caused by the engine, fuel pressure etc..... just the transmission). In either way, if you need to check the fuel pressure (although, i would not find it useful in your case), you need to get a fuel pressure gage, install on the schrader valve at the fuel rail (on the engine, near the injectors), and get the fuel pressure reading which should be around 3 bar, or 43 PSi.

Regards, Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Billy,

Just Answer denied me access Why?

This morning when the car was cold it was pulling a little better but only for about 3 km then it was the same, but I find that when the rpm's stays under 2500 rpm on a flat road I might get 80 km/h in the highest gear but, when I get any uphill and it kicks back to a lower gear the revs will go up to 3000 rpm max & the vehicle speed decreases up to about 40 km/h.

I took it to a mechanic he checked the transmission oil when it was hot after aboutXXXXX the oil level was above the hot max mark but very thin. He will dismantle the gearbox to replace the filter & transmission oil. But now he told me that the intake manifold must be replaced for the flaps inside the manifold is not working and that is why the car has no pull. Can this be true or false?

Kind regards,

Fanie

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Fanie,

The justanswer website was having some technical difficulties, that's why you got the "access denied" message. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As for the intake manifold flaps, they can affect the performance, but we need to know the following:
- does the transmission oil have a burnt smell?
- how did the mechanic know that the flaps need replacing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Billy,

Sorry for the late responds,

- As per the mechanic the transmission oil dit not have a burnt smell, only very thin. The filter and oil were replaced.

- As for the intake manifold flaps, the mechanic previously had a similar problem. he replaced the intake manifold, the car is running quite well now. I just hope that the feul consumption will also be better.

- There are still 2 un-solved problems.

- As for the hazard and turning indicators, the relay in the dashboard, above the driver's footwell, was replaced but the hazard and indicators still not working.

- when switching on the ignition there is a click, click sound like an electric pump for about 20 seconds inside the dash on the passenger side. I was told that it could be the vent motor, which I have replaced (second hand) but its still the same, even getting worse, could that be the problem?

Regards,

Fanie

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Fanie,

Glad to know that engine reduced performance, and the transmission issues were solved.

As for the the indicators and hazard, if the relay is not the problem, then
I would start by removing the instrument cluster, checking it's connectors making sure you have tight and clean contacts. Then check if the relay is getting power (so wiring to the relay is good). Then you would know if the problem is from the switch, wiring or electrical module and proceed accordingly.

The clicking flap is most commonly the recycling vent flap causing this clicking. However, the trim under the dash needs removing, so you can confirm which flap is ticking. You can turn off the recycle function to know if this is causing the problem.

Regards, Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.