Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician

Hi, I have an 2002 renault Laguna 1.9 dci hatchback. The problem

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 2002 renault Laguna 1.9 dci hatchback. The problem with the car; ABS warning light comes on. yet giving the brakes a 'secluded test, they are firm and sharp, also the speedo dies when the ABS light comes on. What is the cause, and fix for these problem? Fingers crossed, you can pin point the fault.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer! My name is Ross and i will help with your question

techmachine :

The ABS rarely has much of an effect on the performance of the brakes (unless your skidding of course) but the fact the light comes on means the ABS control unit has detected a fault. There are many possible causes however luckily your fault sounds like its relatively easy to diagnose.

There are four ABS sensors, one on each wheel which detect the speed of the wheels, its very common for these sensors to fail, and the fact your speedometer also stops means its going to be one of the front wheel speed sensors causing this problem as this feeds the speedometer as well. I always recommend you take the car to a garage who will plug it into a diagnostic system, this pinpoints the exact cause of the fault. However the speedometer I believe should be getting its signal from the passenger side front wheel speed sensor, so this would be the first one to replace if you are trying to avoid the added cost of diagnostics.

techmachine :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you, Ross.

JACUSTOMER-9tm26112- :

As I suspected. I will have to wait till Mon/Tue before I get any results. Thanks for now, I will let you know how I get on.

techmachine :

Great, yes please keep me updated, if you need any further help with this feel free to ask!