Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified

Jaguar X type: My 2004 jaguar x type central locking is playing

My 2004 jaguar x type central locking is playing up. The unlock button doesn't work but the lock button, headlight button and boot release button all unlock the car! What is this ?
Hello and welcome to

If you use the key in the door or move the lock knob on the inner handle do all the doors unlock?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
All the doors unlock using the interior Handle The auto lock when you drive off works also.
Ok good. This tells us the GEM module is functioning properly. This tells us the key fob remote is faulty since all other buttons except the unlock will work. We need to replace and program a new remote.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They all unlock the car. They don't do the intended job. Can you advise on where to get a new fob? I've seen programming can be done quite simply by myself
Yes there is a manual programming sequence which will work most of the time. You will need to get the remote from the dealer but you can try other online sources like,, or