Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

cd 200: hello, my A/C on my Mercedes 2002 stopped working completely,

hello, my A/C on my Mercedes 2002 stopped working completely, no lights at all and the ventilator in front of the car was blowing very strong, the weather was very hot outside, this morning the weather was cool and everything is OK, what can be the reason.

1st and most likely option is the system is low on gas as there's a pressure switch on the system to turn off the AC pump if its too low on gas to prevent any damage

other possibilities are a faulty pressure switch
a broken / slipping pump drive belt
faulty climate control module

so check that the belt is there ( although you'd know if its wasn't as it drives other important items) and then check the gas level and let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mat, thank you for your reply, I drove this morning my car and everything looks normal, the A/C is working and cooling, the ventilation propeller was not making any noise, but the weather is cool now.

The phenomenon happened once before when the car was standing in the sun for hours and there was very hot weather outside, I live in Tuscany, Italy where the weather can be very hot in July August.

What do you suggest to verify? I can go to the mechanic and ask him to check, but I have no idea what to ask.

Thank you again,

Hello Uri

thanks for the extra information, still worth doing a gas level check as this takes minutes for an AC garage but its possible the AC controller was prevented from running as in very hot conditions the ECU will prevent it to prevent the engine from overheating
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you Mat
The car is runnig well with A/C working, my meccanic said that the sensors has to get used to the weather, sometimes a sudden hit can block the aircondition ,I hope this is right, and that it will not happen again.
thanks again,
no problem