Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.

SAAB 9-5: My SAAB 9-5 w automatic transmission goes in limp

My SAAB 9-5 2002 2,3l petrol w automatic transmission goes in limp home and shows error code related to lock-up solenoid.

When putting ino reverse a very harsh shift is noticed.

Is this a common/known failure to this transmission?

If a solenoid is malfunctioning, which one is the most probable? Can one buy this part in europe?(can be ordered from the us...)

My dealer wants to sell me a new valvebody for 1000+euros...

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It´s ok to wait for an answer a few more days.

It will be important for you to find a automatic transmission expert I guess, since these items are a bit special and nothing even a certified SAAB shop will open to repair.

br/Dan

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you. .
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan, and welcome. My name isXXXXX for the wait. If you are getting a fault code for the torque converter lock up solenoid the technician should perform an ohms test on the solenoid from the appropriate pins at the transmission control module. If the solenoid does not ohm out properly from the transmission control module harness connector there is a fault in the harness or in the solenoid itself. Next step would be to perform the same test at the transmission connector and see if you get the same results. If you do then the TCC solenoid or internal transmission harness is faulty. The transmission pan should be inspected for debris upon removal. If there is a lot of metal or clutch material in the pan it is an indication of an impending transmission failure. If everything looks good I would replace the valve body and that should solve the problem. If however the TCC solenoid ohms out good from the transmission control module harness connector the fault will most likely be with the transmission control module. I have not found the TCC solenoid available separately from the Saab dealer although many transmission rebuilders should have availability. I would check with your local independent transmission specialist for the TCC solenoid. Click here for the set available here in the US. I'm not sure if they will ship to the UK. If you cannot find availability over there you will need to replace the valve body if the solenoid proves to be faulty.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience: ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. no more questions right now
2. Yes!