EuroDoc
EuroDoc, Shop owner/technician
Experience:  I've worked on European automobiles for over 20 years, and know them well
14582033

Audi A8 Quattro: I have a 2002 A8 (2.8 Quattro Auto) and am

Customer Question

I have a 2002 A8 (2.8 Quattro Auto) and am having a couple of small issues with my auto transmission.

Essentially it feels, around 30-40mph, like the car is changing gear too much; feels like i'm being kicked in the back every now and again.

It's been on the diagnostic and flagged a pressure control valve.

My mech says that this is a gearbox out job; I'm not sure after reading some posts on here. Could it also be an electrical fault?

I think I need to change the fluid and filter in any case so was wondering if this would give me access to the valves.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, I do only have the one fault code, I think it was asking me to check open/ground faults; wouldn't know where to start with my fluke though!

Thanks in advance
Category: UK Car
Expert:  EuroDoc replied 1 year ago.
It would definitely be helpful if I knew the actual fault code numbers. However, there are a few checks that can be done. You've already performed one, which is inspecting the TCM. I would also strongly recommend getting under the car, and checking the round twist-lock electrical connector at the front of the valve body. These have the tendency to get water in them as well, and corrode the individual electrical pins. In the extreme case, water can travel up the electrical harness, which would make wiring repairs quite difficult.

Now, if it is a faulty solenoid valve, then they can be replaced without removing the gearbox. The pan will have to be removed, and filter removed. All of the solenoids are in a row at the rear of the valve body. This would also give you the opportunity to check the electrical connector ribbon from the twist-lock connector back to the solenoids.

Now, if you're doing a fluid and filter change, there are a few things you will need
1) Audi-specific fluid
2) a pump gun to pump the fluid up into the transmission pan from underneath
3) a scan tool to measure fluid temperature during the filling process.
EuroDoc, Shop owner/technician
Experience: I've worked on European automobiles for over 20 years, and know them well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for the answer, appreciate it. I think the code was P1824. I don't suppose you would know the part number for a replacement solenoid valve? Are all of them the same on the valve body i.e. interchangeable?

I am going to get the car on the ramp on Tuesday so will be able to diagnose further with luck.

On the subject of diagnosis, is there a suitable method for carrying out continuity/resistance checks on the harness from the valve body? What should be the values if I was looking for resistance on each line?

I appreciate that I have asked quite a raft of questions there but I want to be absolutely sure that I can direct my mechanic prior to seeing him.

Many thanks again, I will ensure that a rating is posted as soon as I've exhausted you!

Expert:  EuroDoc replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so this description here

18232

P1824

Pressure Contr.Solenoid 3 Open/Short to Ground

With that code, I'd recommend just replacing that solenoid. That's going to be the more typical repair, if wiring is sound. Unfortunately, Audi does not list a spec for static resistance checking.

The valve in question is #26 here, and they are interchangable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again for your patience.

I am trying to find one of these online but cannot find one anywhere.

Do you know of anywhere that sells them (preferably in the UK) or am I visiting the main dealer this time?

Do they get called something else perhaps?

Expert:  EuroDoc replied 1 year ago.
It's very unlikely that you would be able to find one of these solenoids anywhere other than a franchise Audi dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I have a part number after speaking to the dealer and found a stockist - the p/n is 01V927333 which simply shows in their system as 'valve'.

I have put a picture of it here as well (follow link); can you confirm that this seems like the part from the information provided?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-A6-AUTO-GEARBOX-PRESSURE-VALVE-01V-927-333-A-/280718462410?nma=true&si=7LBNosHyEWB6npW9DX0PEkpOxOk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

My only concern is that the fault contains the world solenoid and this doesn't look like one.

Regards

Expert:  EuroDoc replied 1 year ago.
That is one of the solenoid valves, but I cannot confirm that is the correct application due to not being able to look up part numbers for UK cars.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your help; I've located all the parts I need (I think!) and it is going into the garage tomorrow for the work. Fingers crossed. I have now rated your help so I assume that's the conversation over.

Thanks again.

Expert:  EuroDoc replied 1 year ago.
Haven't seen the rating come through yet, but there have been a LOT of site issues today, so no problem.

Also, if you have any followup questions or information, you can still respond to this.

Thanks
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That should show now, did try earlier but the site fell over. I will post back tomorrow when the work is done to let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Shep

Expert:  EuroDoc replied 1 year ago.
Perfect. Thanks for that

Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, not great news I'm afraid.

Gearbox emptied, bank 3 solenoid changed with a delightfully expensive substitute, re-filled, cycled, level checked again re-assembled.

Still getting the notchiness although I might say that it is a little better (perhaps notchiness isn't the right word as it appears to be more hunting up and down the revs (100rpm up and down)). When I approach a junction now, the kick down to 1st feels more severe somehow; certainly more so than it did before the service.

Reader is showing no fault codes whatsoever now though so may have cured one issue but not them all. It doesn't change gear when it 'hunts' at low speed, the revs increase and decrease by about 100rpm. When I select the gears, it does as it's told, kicks down great and when I 'boot' it, it's fab. At 70mph on the big roads with the cruise control on, it's flawless, so it isn't gear specific as it will do it in any gear providing the revs are low enough (sub 1800rpm thereabouts)

There is also an irregular knock when in park, not sure if this is related. Don't think it's the bottom end as it doesn't do it all the time.

If it was a wiring fault, I'd expect codes; is it possible that the TCM (despite looking okay) could be on it's way?

If it's the gearbox itself, then I'm afraid it's curtains for the old girl; can't afford to keep throwing money at her.

Let me know what you think if you can; I appreciate the additional support. Don't want to consign her to the scrap heap, she looks too good for that!

Regards

Expert:  EuroDoc replied 1 year ago.
Ok, no problem with additional support. I'm more than happy to do so.

Can we try something very simple first? Assuming that you have a scan tool to perform this procedure. It needs to be Audi-specific, not just a generic scanner.

Throttle body alignment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How expensive are the Audi specific scan tools? I'm wondering if it is going to be more economically viable to buy one rather than take it to Audi and pay dealer money, especially if this doesnt cure it.

Best place to get one if so?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly

Expert:  EuroDoc replied 1 year ago.
Ross Tech VCDS is by far the best and most advanced. And reasonable money in my opinion

scroll down to UK distributor list
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again

Got the ross-tech vcds on the car and some quite interesting results showed (I have performed the throttle body alignment but it hasn't done the trick)

I've copied some of the output below for you to look at; of particular note is code 01119 - gear recognition signal under the abs checks, could this be a factor in my fault?

EDIT - I am also noticing a hard shift to first upon slowing now but the cyclic revs remains.

Happy reading!

Chassis Type: 4D - Audi A8 D2
Scan: 01 03 08 11 15 16 17 18 25 35 37 45 55 56 57 65 67 75 76 77
02

VIN: WAUZZZ4D43N001333
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No: 3B0 907 551 BT
Component: 2.8L V6/5V G 0001
Coding: 11753
Shop #: WSC 02314
VCID: 76E7E2EB7857
WAUZZZ4D43N001333 AUZ7Z0A2020208

4 Faults Found:
16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0420 - 35-00 - -
16814 - Catalyst System; Bank 2: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0430 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0130 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16534 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0150 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8D0-907-389.lbl
Part No: 4D0 907 389 E
Component: ABS/ESP allrad D57
Coding: 08397
Shop #: WSC 02313
VCID: 316D11F7D1B9

1 Fault Found:
01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.lbl
Part No: 4D0XXXXXbr/> Component: AG5 01V 2.8l5V RdW 1818
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 02314
VCID: 7CF3F0C3467B

No fault code found.

End ---------------------------------------------------------------------