Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Mitsubishi Lancer: Hi!I have a 1988 Mitsubishi Lancer where

Customer Question

Hi!

I have a 1988 Mitsubishi Lancer where one of the low beams does not work.
Both High beams work, but the right low beam does not.

I have checked the lightbulbs, fuses, connections and cables. I have checked both voltage and ground with a multimeter. I have 12 Volts at the + connection (with current to match, I accidentally blew the 15A fuse while trying to check the Ampere) and around 9 Ohms at the groundconnection. I get the same results when I mesure the right side.

I have googled and come up with nothing. I am stuck and would very much appreciate some help.

Best regards
Carl Johan
Sweden
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Am I understanding correctly at the inoperative low beam you are seeing 12V positive when the low beams are turned on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is correct.

Also, I wrote: "I get the same results when I measure the right side."

Supposed to be "I get the same results when I measure the left side."

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, that helps.

I know you said you checked the bulbs already, but have you tried swapping the bulbs left to right just in case there is a very tiny fracture you can't see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Are 100% certain there is no corrosion in the connectors etc? If you have 12V and ground the bulb should turn on. Even if you have a weakened wire etc causing a current drop the bulb will still illuminate to a visible degree.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I measured the resistance from the back of the connector to the pins of the bulb when the bulb was inserted in the connector and got ~0 Ω. So there should be a connection.

I tried removing and reinserting the bulb into the connector several times (sort of rubbing it back and forth) to scrape away any corrosion and make contact but that didn't help either.

I've tried to find a wiring diagram for the specific model but haven't had any luck, so I don't know if there is anything hidden somewhere that I haven't found.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing really different from this headlight set up than any other vehicle.
The left and right are fused together (high and low fused separately only), so no chance of a fuse issue.

If the bulb is good and the ground is good and you don't have any connection issues you could only have a power supply issue and perhaps the connection is just so bad you don't even get a glow from the bulb. This is highly unusual though.

The left and right headlights do have separate grounds, so this might be worth investigating even though it appeared you have good ground. Try supplying an auxiliary ground to the non working bulb and see if you get light.
If you do not, then try adding auxiliary 12V and see if you get light. At least this way we can confirm 100% what is missing. We may find there is a massive power drop on the power wire there the wiring splices from left to right... we'll see.