Mark
Mark , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Over 30 yrs trade experience
69494627

206: Hi, I removed the Shunt Fuse from my 05 Peugeot 206 inadvertently

I removed the Shunt Fuse from my 05 Peugeot 206 inadvertently ( I stupidly thought I was pulling out the key to remove fuses) but put it back in correctly I think. This was about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Last night I was driving the car, stopped at a shop and when I went to restart the car, the battery was dead, no turning over but still had enough power for lights, windows etc.
I called breakdown assist and they jumped the car. Drove the car for about 20 minutes and it was fine.

This morning, same problem. Battery was gone again.

Are they connected? Or do i need to worry about the Shunt Fuse at all and just get a new battery?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

markthebooler :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

markthebooler :

I think you need to have the battery and charging system tested. Most likely though is you just need a new battery.

markthebooler :

Any problem you may have created by replacing the fuse incorrectly would have shown within a day or two. Not 2 - 3 weeks.

Customer:

Thanks Mark.

Customer:

Thats reassuring. I do not have any experience with cars other than changing a bulb or a fuse or a tyre. My wife needs the car tomorrow so I need a quick fix and will probably justchange the battery if you think that woul be the best option.

markthebooler :

I would make sure the alternator was charging first. Simple test with a multimeter. Looking for around 14 volts. If charging ok then replace the battery.

markthebooler :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

markthebooler :

Thanks.

markthebooler :

Mark.

Customer:

Thank you again.