Engineering Pro
Engineering Pro, Automotive Engineer.
Experience:  BEng, M-SAE, Qualified Mechanic.

Volkswagen t5 t32 130: The engine management and abs light

The engine management and abs light is on the dashboard
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Engineering Pro replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX am a professional engineer and a qualified mechanic, I will do whatever I can to answer your questions...

Don't forget.... the deposit you placed to ask this question is simply that, a deposit which is refundable. Also, when you are asked to give a rating, please remember you are rating My Service ONLY, not the website, the fact you may not be getting the answer you wanted to hear or the speed of response as this is something I have no control over...

ABS sensor (or wiring to the sensor) failure will often put both the ABS and the engine light on. The engine light comes on as it needs a very accurate speed signal to be able to complete a number of the emissions related functions which are performed within the ECU.
Having said this, its impossible to give an accurate diagnosis using the just the fact that the warning lights have illuminated.
The next step you need to follow is to get the vehicle scanned for diagnostic fault codes which will direct you to the area of the vehicle which is showing the problem.
It's important than when having the vehicle scanned that both the ECU and the ABS control modules are scanned as the ABS fault codes may be more detailed than those which have been passed across to the ECU.
I always recommend getting a full print out of the codes which the technician retrieves as the codes are a more accurate way to diagnose than a verbal description given to you by the garage.

You could always get a handheld scanner and perform this scam yourself, they are readily available from eBay at very low cost. It is the same as with most electronics in as much as you get what you pay for, very cheap hand held scanners will not be able to retrieve all codes but it will do the basics as well as a reset of the light.. fyi simply clearing the light very rarely cures the problem, there needs to be an understanding of what's triggered it, so don't pay for a scan where the answer is suggested as purely clearing the light. It will no doubt reappear after a few miles driving.

A scan will take no more than 15 mins to perform and should be charged accordingly. It doesn't need to be done at a vw garage...

Is it going to cause damage if driven?? Well in general, if the vehicle is still performing normally then you should be fine, but this is not guaranteed, the best advice is to get to a garage as soon as is possible...

Please, only rate my service at the end of our session. If you require further information just hit reply. However, if you are dissatisfied with the service and require a refund please use the contact link or reply to me and I can forward it to customer service who will process a refund for you... Please do not use the rating system for a refund. Doing so just reflects negatively on my satisfaction percentage. Thank you again for using Just Answer we hope your visit here was successful..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank for your answer the reason I ask the question is cause I want to buy this van and I want to find out if it is expensive to fix the problem or is it worth buy it or will bring more problem from know on thanks

For the cost of a scan its worth getting it checked... Could be a small £10 sensor or a complete exhaust system at the same time...

Engineering Pro, Automotive Engineer.
Experience: BEng, M-SAE, Qualified Mechanic.