Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic and MOT tester for 18 years. Excellent knowledge of cars and the MOT testing scheme.

XJV6 SOVEREIGN: Have got a 2007 PETROL Jaguar 3.0 xjv6 Sovereign.

Have got a 2007 PETROL Jaguar 3.0 xjv6 Sovereign. I have managed to put 1.15 litres of DIESEL in to a full tank 85 litre capacity of petrol. The car runs the same no smoke no apparent loss of power. Although I have noticed a slight knocking, could this be serious?
Have been told this is PINKING? Will the problem sort itself or do I need professional help?
Good evening and thank you very much for your question.

You have done exactly the correct thing by filling your car with petrol to dilute the diesel. This small amount of diesel should not have any effect on your engine so you should be fine. A a precaution, it might be a good idea to try to keep the engine speed down below 3000 rpm, and try to avoid accelerating harshly until you have refueled again. I would suggest that once you have used about half of the tank, you fill up with petrol again to further dilute the diesel.

I hope this answers your question and puts your mind at rest. If you need any further help, please feel free to reply to me.

Regards, Gary.
Hi Mike.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your car is now running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.