Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Peugeot 206 fever: I have a 2004 peugot 206 fever 1.4 petrol.

I have a 2004 peugot 206 fever 1.4 petrol. From cold it works ok but when warm and you ask for it to accelerate it completely stalls as if petrol starvation. I have changed the petrol pump but still the same. can plod around town ok but motorways are dangerous as it just wont go fast and overtaking anything would be impossible.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.

This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately due to work commitments I can't do the checks you mention until middle of the coming week. I did change the fuel pump (which incorporates the filter) for a used one but given the fault is still exactly the same I have discounted that. I will check the things you have mentioned and get back to you. This is a pig of a problem as its only when you ask the car for some serious effort that it rears its ugly head! The engine completely dies until you take your foot off the throttle and just chug around in it. Regards Lou

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
no problem Lou

just get back to me on this post

one other thing thats worth checking is the cylinder compressions as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

did the lighter gas on the hoses etc but there was no response at all. Is it at all possible that this an electrical problem rather than fuel shortage such as the coil pack or other? Lou

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Lou

usually electrical issues result in no power at all / cutting out misfires etc

the fact it feels slow / starved really makes me think its fuel shortage

I'd suggest to do a fuel pressure check next
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok will do that, thanks

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
No problem

just get back to me on this post with what you find
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have carried out all the suggestions you put forward and they are all ok. I disconnected what I believe is called the MAP censor and it made no difference to the car at all even when I accelerated hard it was the same as before ie stalling. I unplugged it on idle and there was no change in the engine speed. I got this car up to 90mph and it only shows the problem if you try to rush it by literally flooring the throttle and then it really misbehaves. Thanks for your help Mat, I will do the rating on your reply. Lou

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lou

one thing to check is to pullout a spark plug and see what colour it is - as this will guve a crude indication of how rich / lean its been running

try this and let me know
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years