Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi Fiat doblo 1.3 diesel, the engine management light came

Customer Question

Hi Fiat doblo 1.3 diesel, the engine management light came on, and displayed "engine failure" but the only thing I noticed is a small drop in power otherwise ok. What do you think the problem might be? thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

.

What sort of mileage does the vehicle have?

.

Whats it service and repair history?

.

Has this been a sudden failure? and any tell tail smoke from the back if noticed during driving etc?

.

Any unusual noises heard from the engine at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

56.000
Full history

just happened as I was driving, only noticed a small drop in power. Drove home about 6 miles at normal speed and temp gauge normal.

only abnormality was engine management light on.

No smoke

Engine as usual, no knocks etc

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..thanks for getting back..

.

In regards to warnings above "fault" they can cover quite a wide varied area of possible faults so in theory it would be quite difficult at this stage to actually know for sure what the problem is your having or where the actual problem is so to speak..the usual more common causes with these/diesel - is either due the particulate DPF Filter is at fault either blocked/blocking up with soot particles causing a restriction "no doubt needing force regenerated if the car can't or is now unable do it itself "this can be quite common on low mileage cars or cars used for very short journeys / or fueling pressure issue ie:- possible blocked filter /intake system maybe due to failing or fault Mass air flow meter, exhaust gas recirculation valve faulty/blocked up with soot which again is very common but can be cleaned once removed if sooted up....But as above the only way forward to trace this down for sure - It would most definitely need to be hooked upto a suitable diagnostic machine to interrogate the ECU and determine what and where the actual fault is - Only then can you investigate further based on the results "fault codes" that it actually highlights or shows up to efficiently diagnose the cause - again very often this will only be the way forward in such cases with these warning messages im afraid - so the best option in this case/yours would be to have the car diagnosed first or plugged in - which im sure the Dealer will do anyway or if preferred if dealer is out of the question either any good local garage/or mobile diagnostic technician with the equipment and then take it from there based on whats found during the test.......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry all you are telling me is to go to a dealer to get it diagnosed, so the problem is not sorted. I suppose I should have realised and done that in the first place. Sorry, with all due respect I dont feel you have given me anything apart from the obvious. Thanks anyway for trying.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..thanks for getting back..

As above most independent garages nowadays can deal with problems as this just as good as the dealer if not cheaper..I never said go straight to the Dealer "thats totally optional" but usually a last resort if the problem is more complex that normal garages can't usually deal with or car under warranty..this current problem can not be diagnosed without that sort of investigation above using the proper equipment.only then it would be most likely sorted quicker and efficiently or give a better indication as to the fault and what steps need to be taken..you need to understand we try to give the best guidance possible in this case and as above was given..so im sorry you feel that way,but i wish you well and hopefully you get the vehicle sorted as cheaply as possible..