Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

octavia L& K: Octavia 2 estate rear wiper not working,

Octavia 2 estate rear wiper not working, how can I find out if it is the motor or the column switch that is defective
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

The usual cause of this , is a broken wire in the tailgate feed - If you check the wires that run from the roof of the car through the black rubber link tube - you will need to open the tailgate and open up the rubber cover / tubing - and carefully check for a damaged / broken wire in there..

Thats the first thing to check on this.... ( I assume you have checked the fuses already - I dont have info on the car from you to tell you exactly which it is - but your handbook will tell you if you haven't )

Other than the above - if its not that , then you need to remove the panel on the inside of the tailgate to access the motor etc.

Check the wires carefully as often water gets in there and can cause bad connections - or check for just loose / bad connections to the motor - and the earth..

If you dont find any issues - you then need to use a meter or 12v test lamp to test the wires - Its best to have someone to operate the switch while you do this - off and on..while you check each wire to the connector for the wiper.... If you have a feed there - and the earth connector is ok as above, then the wiper motor is usually the fault having failed.

If you have no feed - then assuming all else checks out as ok as above, then the switch can be faulty - but it can also be a relay fault. Your local Skoda parts dept will tell you exactly which it is on the car - you will need to give them the cars VIN for them to check on that.

By all means get back to me if you need ..

Meantime -- Please click on the OK service ( or higher ) rating for me at this point now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control - Thank you .
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.