Technopro
Technopro, Euro + Japanese Technician
Experience:  Automotive Engineer, Qualified mitsubishi Tech, Certified NZ Inspector
13063098

Mitsubishi Shogun Sport: I have 2003 2.5 Shogun sport the problem

Customer Question

I have 2003 2.5 Shogun sport the problem I have is when overtaking another car going up a slight hill say in 4th gear the engine warning light comes on and the car goes into limp home mode. My Mitsubishi dealer has tried to cure this fault by changing the vacuum turbo &EGR operating solenoids turbo over boost sensor, and adjusted the turbo pressure, but it is still the same. could it be the turbo itself that faulty?

Ro Hill
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can wait for an answer as I have had this problem for a few years now.

Ro Hill

Expert:  Technopro replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ro,

do you know what error code they were getting before trying to rectify it?

Cheers

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry the garage never told me what the error code was. The fault only occurs when the engine is working hard,with a high throttle setting and in a low gear. I get the impression that the turbo is creating too much pressure in the inlet tract.

I have had a very similar problem on a VW boat engine. This was caused by a soot build up on the exhaust side of the turbo jamming the variable vanes creating an overpressure in the inlet tract. The cause was red diesel and the cure is to clean and lubricate the turbo with high temperature lubricant as part of the service.

Regards

Ro Hill

Expert:  Technopro replied 2 years ago.

Ro, can you chase what code they had before? This will be of great help as it will guide me to what the problem is?

Cheers

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I telephoned Southgate Motors, the Mitsubishi dealer who bid the work on the car only to find out that they went into administration earlier this year, and all their records are not available any more. The invoice I have states under work carried out "Fault codes stored for vacuum and boost pressure, cleared fault codes customer to try", is any use?

Expert:  Technopro replied 2 years ago.

What is your engine number there, 4D56? You said it was a 2.5, but as from 2000, the shogun comes in 2.8 diesel. Can you confirm please. I am trying to find a few info from my library for you.

Cheers

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My engine number is 4D56KN6143. The Registration Certificate says it is 2477cc.

The other details are Model, Shogun Sport Warrior TD

VIN JMA0NK9403J001410

Regards

Ro Hill

Expert:  Technopro replied 2 years ago.
Leave that with me and as soon as I get home, I'll get into my library for some possible answers.
Cheers