Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Volvo XC90 2.5T: Hi,I am fitting new handbrake shoes to a

I am fitting new handbrake shoes to a 2003 Volvo XC90 the old shoes are totally worn out, how can I let off the adjustment to enable new shoes fit into drums and then adjust up correctly.
Many thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome back to justanswer..

Im assuming this is a RHD drive - as you listed in UK car - ( I am in the UK )

I will give you some pics to help you -
Remove the panel for the center console on the left-hand side.

First one - click HERE
Locate the adjustment for the parking brake (1).

Remove the retaining clip.

Note! Take care when removing the retaining clip.

Screw the socket clockwise over the groove for the retaining clip. Press the socket back over the adjustment rod.

For pic - click HERE

Screw the socket clockwise so that the groove for the clip emerges.
Install the clip.

Adjusting the parking brake

Click HERE

Depress the brake pedal to the first notch. Press out the adjustment using the adjustment rod..

Test the parking brake.

Full effect can be obtained between the second and fifth ratchet teeth.

Installing the panel
Install the panel for the center console on the left-hand side.

Those are the complete "book" instructions - I felt it better to explain like that ;)

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Ratings Etc - Please Read :

Please feel free to get back to me if you need / wish to discuss this more ..( I will always get back to you as soon as I receive any reply you may send .. To reply to me, use the "reply to expert" tab or link... . Meantime, please do rate the answer I have given for you with the OK service or higher... for which I thank you in advance... as thats how Im credited for helping you ..

Again - feel free to get back to me at any time ...even if you need more help as time goes on - clicking the rating as above does not close you out.. Thank you again...

Regards, MIKE.

~~~ Please note you are rating my help / my answer --- not the "system" ..which can sometimes have delays / problems etc.. Thank You kindly..

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Thank you for your answer I think I saw the cable you are showing on the nearside tunnel, but didn't think this was to do with the handbrake, obviously wrong, when I remove the clip will this fully release the cable so that new brake shoes will fit inside the drum and then I adjust from there, also does the clip go back into the same slot.

Many thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Richard - thank you for your message..

Thats right and the clip goes back in the same place once your shows are adusted up..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

..............Please do click on the OK service ( or higher) rating for me now Richard, Thank you.. If you do need to get back to me anytime on this, you can..clicking the rating doesn't close you out but it is imnportant for me.. Thank you again..

Kind RGds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Sorry, it's me again, I have now traced cables from the two at the back plates into car, under rear of centre console where they go into a yoke

and out as one cable along the left side of console over the transmission tunnel and into the hand/foot brake mechanism, I can see no adjusting mechanism at all and the only clip I found was on the hand/foot brake mechanism of which to me this is to hold the cable to the mechanism. hope this helps, look forward to hearing from you,

Many thanks & regards

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Richard..

Im sorry you are having problems..

Can you give me the VIN and I will double check things for you -

Rgds, MIKE.........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Once again thanks for your help on this, the vin is YV1CZ793731021673

Many thanks

Regards Richard

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Richard -

I will need some time to check and get back to you -

I will get back asap ..

Rgds,. MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Richard..

Im sorry I couldn't get back to you at all...Ive had some fair system issues which have prevented me from getting back to you until now , so Im sorry about that ..

Can I just ask how you are doing / if you still need further help... If so, I will come back to you - I just didnt want to tell you something more if you have already done it/ telling you what you already know..

Rgds, MIKE...........................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Situation still the same I can't find any adjuster on the cables and can't at the moment see any way to release the cables to allow new shoes to go into drums/discs.

Any help please

Regards Richard

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard,

I am looking into this for you Richard – just to let you know , but a thought cross my mind you may well have the auto adjusting system l- not the manual, which would certainly explain why you can't find any adjuster!

So I will look up some more information on that and get back to you ASAP ... it's easier to transfer written information than to try and explain ..so give me a little while, I'll get back to you.

Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I have sorted the problem you are right removed the foot/hand brake pedal assy and worked out how to release the mechanism, am going to fit shoes now refit thats been removed and hope ratchet resets its self will let you know

Regards Richard

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Steve -

Ok - your getting there, thats excellent.. I hope all goes ok for you -

Best Rgds, MIKE.