Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

Jaguar x type: the glow plug warning light is flashing when

Customer Question

the glow plug warning light is flashing when i drive and there is a leak coming from under the car. its a clear greasy liquid and has a strong smell a bit like fuel, think it could be the egr or turbo. any ideas on what this would cost to put right and would the turbo need replacing?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

when the glow plug light comes on the ECM has detected an engine management fault and stores a fault code. This does not always indicate a glow plug problem as it could be another engine sensor. To pinpoint the problem we will need to have the stored vehicle faults read with a Jag factory tool. You will need to visit your dealer or Jag specialist for a vehicle scan. You can use an OBD II scan tool so I recommend a trip to your local parts store as they should have a scan tool to use. It is very possible we have a problem with the air flow sensor, injector, EGR valve or other engine sensor. Since we also have this fluid leak it very well could be the turbo or plumbing so we will need to have this inspected as well. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The leak turned out to be diesel. the turbo's can't leak as apparently only air passes through them. the answer on the glow plug light was too vague. could be one of 5 things? it hasn't come back on anyway. and the OBD scan tool only works on jag 2.0d from 2004 onwards.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
As long as your OBD II tester can read CAN vehicles it should be able to communicate with the ECU. If not then a Jag tool will be needed. Keep me posted.