Rob
Rob, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  city and guilds level 1 2and 3. mot tester , 28 years experience set up training college in afghanistan
16305601

bmw: with 2 fault codes p3263..first start..related to the temperature

Customer Question

Hi I have a bmw 118d 2005 with 2 fault codes p3263 and p1252. The car seems to perform normally from first start up but gradually gets worse and worse. I dont know if it is related to the temperature in the engine. I did have a chip on the car but have removed it with little difference to fault. Any ideas? Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

hi

P1252 = BMW code 4191 Charge air pressure actuator - Short circuit to ground.

it would seem that you have turbo pressure control fault

p1252. this is related to the inlet manifold swirl flaps are sticking

this is more than likely causing the first code this will need the inlet manifold striping and either clean or replace the flaps.

regards rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I heard bout this swirl flap problem a while back and replaced my turbo about a year ago. During this I removed the inlet manifold to find that there are no swirl flaps there. Not even an indication that there was any there to start with. This new problem is quite confusing due to everything on the turbo being just over a year old. Im thinking an intermittent problem with the MAP sens Im a technician for alfa timeout so have a fairly large knowledge about engines but im no BMW specialist and this problem has been bugging me quite a bit.
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

hi.

thanks for the reply.

can you test the boost control valve?

check the small vacuum pipes.

regards rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The turbo is regulated by an electronic actuator. It was replaced along with the turbo. The only vacuumed pipe is for the EGR valve and that cucuit is operating normally including the valve itself.
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

well i am at a loss on this i will opt out and repost the question and hopefully another tech can offer you some advice.

good luck regards rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. I am tempted to try a new MAP sensor cause I cleaned it last night and it seems to have stopped the problem. Which is a first cause usually cleaning them out doesn't make any difference.
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No the problem has gone away after cleaning my MAP sensor so I no longer require assistance. I was just looking for another opinion on the matter due to having alot of knowledge about diesel engines but there are so many variants and without decent diagnostics I was a bit in the dark but have sorted it. Thanks