Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

valve timing on a 2002 1.6 petrol mini..cyl..timing chain..camshaft

how do I set the valve timing on a 2002 1.6 petrol mini one,that has no pre-srtipdown pain mark on the crankshaft pulley?
Do I go by, setting No1 cyl to TDC with No1's in/ex valves closed.......or do I try to set the 3 copper coloured timing chain links to the marks on the sprockets, only the camshaft mark visible without removing the timing case???????
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

I will give you the proper MINI info for this as follows :

Valve timing procedures

• Engine at TDC on No.1 cylinder.
  • Align copper coloured chain links with arrow marks on crankshaft sprocket Fig.1.
  • Ensure copper coloured chain link at camshaft sprocket is aligned with arrow mark Fig.2.

NOTE: When replacing timing chain, crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprocket must be replaced.

• Remove tensioner assembly before carrying out engine repairs Fig 3. NOTE: To prevent engine damage, the tensioner must be locked in the installation position before refitting.
  • Install chain tensioner Fig.3 as follows:
      • Remove cap Fig.4.
      • Push tensioner plunger carefully together with constant force Fig..5.
      • Refit cap Fig.4.
      • Install tensioner Fig.3.
  • Tighten tensioner plug to 65 Nm Fig.6.
  • Press tensioner rail against tensioner with tool No.33 2 140 to unlock tensioner plunger Fig.7.

NOTE: Camshaft sprocket bolt MUST be renewed.

NOTE: Crankshaft pulley bolt MUST be renewed.

I'm very pleased to have helped you... let me know if I can help anymore...

Meantime >>> Please click the " Smiley button" for me Now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Smiley Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you .

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi
the timing case has not been removed,so I can't see the marks on the crank sprocket.Is there any way to set the timing at this stage without removing the case?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply -

Im afraid no - you have to remove the case to set the timing up properly on this engine ...

Im sorry thats probably not what you wanted to hear - but that is the case with these - then if you follow through the instructions I gave you above, that will see this done properly for you .

Best Rgds - MIKE..

I hope that explains / clarifies for you -

>> Please click the " Smiley button" for me Now - Thank You again ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Rgds - MIKE

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.