vauxdoc
vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech
Experience:  over 25 years from viva to vectra
10908802

vauxhall vectra: Hi i have a 2000 yr 1.8 16v vectra b with

Hi i have a 2000 yr 1.8 16v vectra b with 119k. the abs pup makes a groaning noise during the first 10 mins of travelling then stops. while it is groaning the pedal is spongy and if you press hard pedal goes along way. i have renewed all the discs and pads and have had the fluid drained,flushed and renewed. any thoughts please
Category: UK Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, The ABS light should come on then go off at start up when the system has done a self test, if the light does not come on at all or comes on when the fault happens then there will be a fault stored in the ABS ECU. and will need testing for fault codes.

If the light is acting as normal then there will probably be an uneven reading at one of the wheel speed sensors, the way to test this properly is to view the 4 sensors wile traveling slowly in a straight line this is done by viewing the data on a good scanner.

Take a look at the inductor notches on the drive shafts for missing/faulty/rusty teeth and give them a good clean.

This model Vectra is also prone to faulty relays in the pump valve body which can also cause this, unfortunately they are part of the ABS unit and would have to be replaced as a complete unit.

Also make sure that all of the tyre sizes are the same and have fairly equal tread.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi thanks for the answer but i feel i need to be able to communicate with you over email regarding this problem. please let me know when we can exchange emails without long time delays.

thanks

steve

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I will be here for the next 2 hours, unfortunately it is against JA rules for me to contact you directly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi vauxdoc,

the problem i have is that i dint get an ABS light upon ignition. i have checked the fuse all ok, checked the bulb in the dash all ok.

i have checked the abs pump by firing the relay from op-com diag software and makes the same sound when travelling for the first ten minutes.

although not a mechanic on a scale of 1-10 as a diy mechanic i would put myself down as a 7-8 so you can talk technical.

thanks

steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
during the change of the discs and pads i did wire brush the reluctor rings and although rusty did not notice and cracks or broken teeth.
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
How long have you had the car ? did the light used to work ?are there fault codes ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

have only had the car for three weeks and had a 12mth mot when i bought it. during the test drive i knew there was a few faults but know i could fix them. No the abs light was not present when i bought it.

there was only one fault code in the abs which showed front lh wheel sensor.

but doidnt think this would lead to a light not being on

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
The ABS and its light is a part of the MOT sounds a bit dodgy, as i said the light should come on with the initial ignition on then go off...............does it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. when i turn on ignition i get engine managment light, handbrake, battery,oil, airbag and fuel.

the airbag light goes out after a couple of seconds which is what i would expect from the abs. as i say i have checked all associated fuses and relays i think. 1. fuse panel 2. on top of abs pump. 3.dash bulb.

i have just put diag on car as i had reset fault codes after changing discs. it now says

C0035 left front wheel speed sensor incorrect signal (06) not present

C024 wheel speed sensor erratic signal (08) not present.

steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

did you receive last reply?

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Yes but one of mine is lost !
Anyway in this order you need to fix the light so you know when the ECU gets a present code, then sort out the 2 front sensors , you should see the values on Opcom.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am new to the op-com style of mechanics im old school mechanical. im not sure exacltley what the codes/values are telling me, i can guess but dont want to guess wrong and cost me more money.

do i need to replace the reluctor rings or sensonrs or both?

and where do i need to start on the light?

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
If the rings look healthy they should be OK (count the teeth they must match) it may have had a shaft replaced ,but the chances are that the sensors are faulty, but as I mentioned something doesn't quite add up with this car.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, i have just taken the car out with the op-com and recorded the values and the front lh is reading erratic and mis-matched by a couple of kph so will get a new sensor if after a clean up it dosent improve.

the dash light though i think i wll have to go back to basics and double check everything.

thanks for your help

regards

steve