Rob
Rob , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  city and guilds level 1 2and 3. mot tester , 28 years experience set up training college in afghanistan
16305601

vauxhall combo 1.3 cdti..driven..lost power..it wont start..cranks

Customer Question

Vauxhall combo 1.3 cdti - 2007
Vehicle was being driven and just lost power and stopped and now it won't start anymore. It was just as if it ran out of diesel fuel. The engine now cranks okay but no sign of starting. 1. have checked fuel pressure at the rail. 2. Injectors are pulsing. 3. Note. no trouble light up on display. I have checked for DTC'S and there were 3 stored. I cleared these and now there is just one dtc that keeps coming up and that is 'P0683 - Glow Plug Circuit Open'. I have checked glow plugs and they are heating up okay on manual check however, two of the glow plugs are only being supplied with 1.7volts. Q. could the glow plug module be at fault for the low voltage feed to these two glow plugs and could this actually prevent the engine from making an attempt to start. Would be grateful for some advise.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

hi.

this is a fault with the glow plug control module to pcm communication.

the glow plugs are usually switched on/off by a glow plug control module wich can be controlled by the main diesel engine control unit or the powertrain control module (pcm)

the glow plug control module will receive a control signal from the diesel control unit/pcm then the control module will then switch/regulate the power supply to the glow plugs.

there is a good chance that there is a wiring issue between the glow plug module and the pcm this is the most common issue with these .

regards rob