Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Volkswagen caddy: vw caddy 1.9 tdi van. I have a problem where

vw caddy 1.9 tdi van. I have a problem where the van does struggles to fire when hot. when starting from cold no problem. drive for 20mins and turn off for 5 mins then start again engine turns over and over for maybe 6-8 seconds before engine fires. What is the problem
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

What is the mileage on the vehicle ?

What is its service / recent repair history?

Do you get any warn lights of any sort on the dash at all when driving?

Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
154000km no lights on the dash. have had the probelm for 20000km or more. I do lube and fuel filter change etc every 12000km. Had to do the turbo clutch and flywheel less than 100000km. not related. did u get my last reply??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is mike home???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
vw caddy van 1.9tdi problem with starting van when hot. no problem starting when cold only after engine has been running for 20 mins or more. 154km on the clock usualy service history lube oil + fuel and lube filter etc changed every 12000kms. problem has existed for 20000km or so have not done anything about it due to cost and different soloutions usggestions from dealerships and other service techs. what is your opinion??
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply- sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier.. There must have been a glitch because I didnt get the reply you referred to - until all now..

So..ok.. Given the symptoms you describe, hot start issues.. I strongly suspect you have an ECT sensor problem - This is the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor - not the one the controls the gauge per se- but the one that sends signals to the cars Ecu.. main computer - re. the temperature of the engine. ( This is a common fault on this engine you have.)

The Ecu then sends commands to the fueling and ignition systems according. If the sensor is faulty and thus sends incorrect , or no info to the ecu as above, the fuel and air mixture will be incorrect and thus do as you describe resulting in poor running and no start situations...

If you remember the old auto and manual choke systems..(on petrols - but the principal is the same on the diesel you have )....it works like that , only electronically. If and when the choke was in the wrong position for the temp of the engine, you would get these symptoms.. temp related too..

So, without the aid of plug in diagnostics at the moment and the results thereof - its well worth renewing that sensor.

Always buy one from a dealer / genuine unit. If you are unsure as to its position - ask the parts dept; when you are in there, to show you on the screen where it is located ....

So, thats the way to work through to a cure for you on this.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Let me know if you need anything else..

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now that you say it i did replace a temp sensor on recomendation from my garage. the one i replaced was on the aft end of the engine almost on the centre of axis. It was a water temp sensor. was this the correct one? can i access a pic or drawing from the web of the location of the sensor u speak of?

If this is the one u are speaking of and it had no efffect what else is there?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply..

What is the 3 letter engine code of your engine ?

Plus - have you had any plug in tests and fuel system tests done ?

Rgds - MIKE................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will have to get back to u on the 3 letter code. the van is registered in ireland 04d59020. i think it is bls that is just a guess. Nothing is showing up on the diagonistics. the vw dealership said it was the starter my local garage reckon fuel pressure due to leaking injector. what specfic test would you recomend for the fuel system?? also what about the lead i mean the cable from the sensor to the cpu?? tomorrow i might try and un plug the sensor and check if that makes a difference. I would appreciate a list of test u would sepcfically recomend/
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again...

Ok ..yes, that is a valid code we can work with that ..

The first thing is - that ECT sensor I mentioned..is extremely common fault on these...so do double check that - Best to ring a local VW parts dept and double check.. that will save you time as well...

Too - if it wasn't a genuine VW part - change it for one...because after market ones you get trouble with ....

As regards XXXXX XXXXX system tests- you need proper equipment for that...for whats called leak off test / flow test etc - you would need a garage unless you were to purchase the kit to test - but as a one off it really wouldn't be worth it..

That will tell you if you have leaking injectors... thats what the garage is thinking but it needs proper testing as I say...

As regards XXXXX XXXXX that is only going to be an issue if you find that its winding the engine sluggishly on hot starting...if that is the case, then yes you can have a starter problem - but the wiring / connections / earths etc should be checked fully first before changing that .. Again - speed of engine turning is the key to check there..

You can check the looms yes - to the cpu etc...again - all those should be checked anyway..

But do check that sensor issue - its a common reason on these why you have such problems...

Added to the above - here is a list of known faults / things to check on this engine / system for warm / hot start faults..

Engine difficult to start - engine warm

Component check sequence

Electrical connections - engine/battery
Air in fuel system
Fuel level in tank low
Fuel lift pump relay
Condition of fuel/fuel filter/fuel pipes
Air filter/intake system - blockage
Engine mechanical condition
Access diagnostic trouble codes
Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
Injectors
Engine management system - connections/wiring
Engine control module (ECM) programming
Engine control module (ECM)

I hope that all helps you further... the list is very comprehensive and added to the above, you should get this sorted one way or the other..

Let me know if I can help anymore..

Meantime - Please click the Accept for me - Thank you ..

Best Rgds- MIKE.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.