David , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Skoda Master Technicain and MOT Tester
27984060

SKODA FABIA 1.4: skoda FABIA 2002 1.4. pOWER STEERING PROBLEM

skoda FABIA 2002 1.4. pOWER STEERING PROBLEM AFTER JUMP STARTING THEN NEW BATTERY FITTED. WARNING LIGHT ON AND STEERING NOT ASSISTED. WHAT DO I DO ?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Hi the first thing to check on this is the fuses on top of the battery as you may of blown one when the car was jumped started or fitting the new battery. The fuses look like small bits of meta plate and sometimes they are hard to see if they are blown or not. They will crack across the middle in a very fine crack so pay really close attention to them.

Another idea is to disconnect the battery again and then short the two terminals on the car together for 15 minutes and then reconnect the battery, obviously never short the battery terminal together just the leads you take off.

Failing that try driving the car for a while to see if it resets and if that fails the only other option is to have the fault memory checked and cleared of any faults for the power steering control unit.

I hope this helps and if I can help further please feel free to ask