Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member

Citroen Xsara Picasso: Good Morning, I have a 2.0 diesel Citroen

Customer Question

Good Morning, I have a 2.0 diesel Citroen Xsara Picasso that has done just over 77,000 miles. She is an 04 plate and has had a recon gearbox and clutch done last year. I was thinking of trading her in as I am not sure what her life expectancy is. I service her yearly and get her checked before MOT's. She does work hard and has to deal with a dirt track once a week. Will she last another 8 years or should I change her?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

Since you already replaced the gearbox, which usually lasts more than the 77,000 miles you have on, then i would say that the vehicle is definitely a hard worker as you put it.

Billy :

Accordingly, i do not believe that this will last another 8 years......

Billy :

If so, it will require quite some maintenance or electrics, engine etc....which will not come cheap...

Billy :

So, given these indications, i would definitely change this vehicle, while it's running well, you can get a reasonable price for it, and then get another one for the hard work to come.

Customer:

I have been looking at nissan note's but i do not know much about them would this do the hard work or should I look at a different model if which one as cars are confusing

Billy :

The Nissan note should be a reliable vehicle (most Japanese models are).....however, i would not consider it as rugged as the Xsara you have....

Billy :

I would check out the newer citroens, seats and skoda vehicles.....as being more rugged, and with much nicer interior.

Customer:

I like the soft suspension of the picasso as I get a sore back from time to time and she is also cheap to run. I am finding it hard to find a replacement and could use some direction. I have driven a Skoda Fabia, Peugeot 3008 but these had to hard a suspension and no feel from the steering

Billy :

Well the newer (smaller) vehicles have mostly an EPS (electric power steering) which indeed generates less feedback (or feels numb).....and, they do have stiffer suspensions.....but you might want to check the skoda octavia.....or the C3, C4 from citroen.......the ford c-max is also a reliable choice...

Customer:

I have had a look at most of these and discounted them because of looks and the fact that the newer Citreon's have got a bad track record. The Skoda's are nice but uninspiring to drive and I get bored easy! I have had a ford Ka in the past and driven the focus but I found that that KA was great but that focus was a bit hit and miss. Still very confused as it seems I stumbled onto an excellent car when I got my Citreon and nothing I have been in can compare. I think I am between a rock and a hard place!

Billy :

Well, indeed, sometimes the vehicle is just right for you....in which case, it will be hard to replace......but the foremost two things to consider in your case would be reliability and ability to take some abuse.....that is why i cited these models.

Billy :

Ford diesel are amongst the most reliable......seat and skoda while being a bit stiff (not the mid range models) are also very reliable.

Billy :

The nissan, and toyota models are also reliable, but i think you will discount these for looks as well....

Customer:

Thank you for your help but it looks as if there is no answer to my problem!

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer - master tech., SAE member