Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

BMW e46: Hi,I have a problem with a bmw 320d e46, the car

Customer Question

Hi, I have a problem with a bmw 320d e46, the car starts sometimes and others it has to be towed and also if you have full throttle it will start. There has been alot off work done to this car but the problem still persists. The first thing I done was plugged it in and checked the fault codes and cleared them as there was too many, they all cleared ok and when i turned the car over the only faults that came back was 4a93 which is a communication fault and heater plugs so I changed all four plugs and they then cleared just leaving 4a93. I then looked at the live data and seen that the fuel rail pressure was 320bar which seems more than enough and as car continued to turn over this went to 540bar(is this to high), I then looked at the engine speed sensor and seen it was reading 5500rpm turning over and when I gave it a tow and started it it was reading 25000rpm, so I thought I had found the problem, changed crank sensor and speed now reading around 200rpm turning over, problem still there. Next i done a leak off test on the injectors and found them to be ok, i then sent the ECU and had it tested to see if it was internal in it and it came back testing ok. I then took another 320d and changed over the cam sensor from one to the other and proved the sensor was ok also changed MAF but still no good. I changed the fuel filter and was told by the customer that another mechanic had already changed it along with the fuel rail pressure sensor along with the fuel pump relay behind the glove box. I have also checked wiring from crank,cam and fuel rail pressue to the ecu ant they test ok both with continiuity and voltages. I have removed the pump in the tank cleaned the filter and it operates ok also tested pump below passagers side floor and it is ok, could see some bubble in clear fuel pipe to pump. I then tried cracking an injector pipe but there didnt seem to be much pressure not 320bar. In between this the injectors were sent for testing and they were 30-40% down on fuel delivery and as a result they were changed and programmed but still not full cured, car is running well when it starts. Towed car yesterday to start and let it run for 10-15min and then stoped car, found that if you press accelerator by 5mm it would start ok with no change in revs, stop the car take you foot off and it wouldnt start press 5mm and its ok, thought it was a problem with accelerator. Then i tried it this evening and when the car was cold, when it started it would not take the accelerator for 20-30 sec, it then operated ok. Would appreciate any help please.

Waiting to long on answer whats the story?

Category: UK Car
Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI still have not even got a reply alought it says you are waiting on me. If I don't get something by tomorrow morning I want a full refund. Can the reply come from an expert in the UK.

Regards

Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. Most UK Car Experts are located in the UK and I will see if one can reply. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

was wondering if you had any takers of my question.

Regards

Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Expert. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply and would be greatful if you could process my refund. Will use again when the need arises.

Regards

Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Expert. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.