Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

only 1, 3. 5. 7. cylinders on a 2000 land rover discovery

what would make an engine fire on only 1, 3. 5. 7. cylinders on a 2000 land rover discovery
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Your main issue / fault here is highlighted by the 1,3,5 7 misfire s..running issues -and the P1300 code - the other codes are as a result of, the main cause /fault.. ( so once the main fault is identified and rectified, the others wont exist )

Such a problem , that would cause the misfire of those cylinders is usually a fueling system problem - on that bank of cylinders..

So you need to check for fuel going to that back of cylinders - I suspect you will find there is none -or there is but its not being injected.

If there is not fuel at all at the fuel rail - under pressure ( be careful when checking )... then there is a suspect blockage to the line / in the line.. If there is fuel -then you need to verify its actual pressure - which needs to be 3.5 bar... (if the pressure is not right it will cause running problems)... If the fuel is there -and the pressure is correct, this indicates a "control " issue - either at the engine management computer ( ecu ) or, the wiring / loom between the fuel rail / injectors -and Ecu..

You may need garage help with this but you can check the things mentioned above manually so far -

So you need to work through this /check as above. If it comes to the point that you need to check the pressure you will need either a proper test gauge / equipment - or, plug in diagnostic equipment, capable of testing the pressure ( not a basic fault code reader, that wont do that )

You shouldn't run the engine in this condition by the way - unburned fuel from the cylinders in question wil enter the exhaust and can ruin the catalytic converter in the exhaust on that bank / side...

So the above is the way to progress with this now, to get it sorted ..

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike I have looked for the fuel test valve and can't seem to locate it

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply -

This model has only the one If I recall correctly - I will send you a pic - click this link HERE - which shows its location - item 2.. Schraeder valve - like a car tyre valve.

It will give you an overall reading when the ign is switched on..pump running..

The only other way to check the other bank if it doesn't have its own is to use a test equipment "teed" into the line - most good kits have all the pieces needed to do that -

After that ..it will be a case of checking through as mentioned..

I hope that helps you further -

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please don't forget to click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and again - if you do need / wish to get back to me afterwards at any time again - - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

Best Rgds - - MIKE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike I am going to assume one must pull the intake and everthing that goes with it in order to get to the the testing of the fuel psi and the injectors, I thnk the injectors are all bad, I think something knocked that all out on the one bank, I was thinking it would be the PCM beings it is Ground controlled but then that would knock out both sides, works or does not work. In any event theres going to be alot of work getting to the fuel problem with the injectors, the fuel line is but one and then Ts off to both banks, clogged I dont think so, getting fuel to the rail Yes I think, getting into the injectors NO I think. I do thank you for your answer and it has helped me with me thoughtson what I now think it is.

Thank You

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again..

As I outlined above / just to confirm for you yes - if its proven that there is fuel there - and at the right pressure which is needed for correct operation of the injectors - then its either going to be wiring / or the ecu...as its not injecting the fuel. You wont have all the injectors having failed individually...its a control / signal issue to them - or via the wiring..again as mentioned before.

Proper test equipment plugged on to the vehilces Obd / diagnostic test port can check that easily and quickly for you - so that really would be your best way forward - to save a lot of time etc for you...

I hope that helps you further.. you know where I am if you need anything again -

Please dont forget the Accept button for me - Thank you ..and all the best with the job in hand..

Best Rgds - MIKE..