Billy
Billy , Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Vauxhall astra head gasket replaced valve stem seals replaced

head gasket replaced valve stem seals replaced but car now smokes when started up from cold in mornings, 1.6 8v astra 2000 then clears and does not do it again until the morning?
Please help?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

The stem seals are the most likely reason for this issue......i was going to advise the checking of the breathers (oil vapor)....but you seemingly already got that covered....

Billy :

Having checked all these........you either have fuel leaking to the combustion chamber (leaky injector) causing this....and this will make the start a bit hard.....

Billy :

And the other probability is the stem seals not being installed properly (one or more)....or bad quality....or you have a faulty guide causing some seal to leak from the valve......in all these cases, the valve cover needs removing, to check which is leaking.....

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer:

Many thanks for your help in this matter, i will purchase another set of seals and gaskets etc and have the job done again, do you think the rings could be at fault at all? The car does have excellent compression and does not smoke continuosly only during cold starts and does not happen for the rest of day ?

Customer:

Thankyou for your expert help.

Customer:

Regards Jeff

Billy :

Hello Jeff,

Billy :

IF the rings have problems, (worn, broken etc..), the smoke would be apparent mostly at high revs....when you have some load on the engine...and not on cold starts.....especially not only cold starts.....

Billy :

So this is caused by seals...or worn guide wearing out some seal....

Billy :