vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech
Experience:  over 25 years from viva to vectra

Vauxhall Meriva My steering pulls to the left all the time

Customer Question

My steering pulls to the left all the time on my Vauxhall Meriva. Can you help?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, was it at a Vauxhall main dealer ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What further information do you require?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, yes it has been back to the Main dealer 3-4 times over a period of 2 years and is still not fixed!
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
I asked if it was at a Vauxhall dealer as there are ongoing reworks to do with steering and they would of checked them.

I am at a disadvantage in not being able to test the car but the first thing to do would be to ascertain if it was pulling or drifting on the road camber, this can be done by driving on a quiet road with a camber on each side and a high crown in the middle, a normal car will follow camber on the left side of the road and drift to the left and when driven on the wrong side (the right) it will drift to the right camber then driving evenly on the crown it will go straight.

The Meriva has a high centre of gravity and do suffer from camber drift, it is like driving along the side of a hill , gravity has an effect.

If it is found to be pulling the tyres would be checked, they should all be the same make and tread depth, then the tracking camber and castor would be checked and adjusted on a laser alignment geometry test.

If the dealer has done all of this then have a second alignment test at reputable steering/tyre centre.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The car steers left only, even in the Centre lane on the motorway where there is no camber. The main dealer has tried to fix the problem 3 times but failed. The steering has been tracked aligned at least 3 times and also has tyre wear on the outer rimms. Nothing has worked yet!!
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
This is why the last paragraph suggests that you go to a specialist alignment centre, I know only too well that main dealers do not want to spend too much time on this type of work , you should have an independent test especially as you have tyre wear, this proves something is amiss !!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know of a specialist in Stockport? Can you recomend one in this area ?
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
I searched for " wheel alignment stockport " and there are many garages advertising such services but as i do not know the area and the garages reputations I suggest you go to a nationally recognised centre such as ATS, DETAILS HERE

Best regards ,Vauxdoc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.

Best regards, Vauxdoc.