Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.

How do i time the engine of a toyota lucida 2.

Customer Question

how do i time the engine of a toyota lucida 2.2 turbo diesel engine
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

do you need info regarding timing belt replacement?

Customer :

we have changed the cylinder head and need to re-time the cambelt

Billy :

ok......

Billy :

I will include all the instructions, marks and needed info so you tackle this successfully:

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer :

if we pay now and then need more info can we get that from this one payment or will we have to pay again thanks

Billy :

IF you need info on the same subject, just get back to me on this page.....even if you pay....

Customer :

if we need more info on same subject then do we pay again or if we pay now can we get more info later

Billy :

You can get back on this page for follow up whenever needed......even if you pay.

Customer :

sorry didnt realise id sent message first time thanks

Billy :

You're quite welcome!

Billy :

Please remember to hit the ACCEPT button so i get credited for my time.....positive feedback appreciated.....

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer :

hi Billy we are not sure that you have sent the correct info. can you recheck please - on your info sheet under REPAIR TIMES-HRS it says picnic 2.2D turbo 1996-02 our car is not a pinic it is a toyota lucida estima 1997 P reg as quoted in my first question and on the diagram of the timing belt "G" is our timing tensioner not "T" please can you recheck hoping to hear from you soon As far as payment is concerned we want to pay and will. we didnt pay yesterday as we have 6 kids we are trying to fix the car and also rescued a friend with a broken motorbike so we were very busy we await your prompt reply thankyou .Sarah and Anthony.

Billy :

Hello!

Billy :

You can take your time, and ask all the info you need on the matter...

Billy :

However, the info for timing belts are categorized by engine codes....and not vehicle names....

Billy :

As vehicle names vary from one country to another.....however, the engine code....means that this is the same engine....

Billy :

You, as i remember should have the 3CT-E engine....

Billy :

And the info was posted accordingly..........

Billy :

In all cases, the 2.2 diesel turbo engine this model on toyota, all have the same marks.....the ones indicated in diagram...

Billy :

So check thoroughly and get back to me if needed......

Customer :

on the diagram the tensioner is located next to the cam shaft this is not the case on our vechile the tensioner is located next to the crankshaft and it is on an eccentric cam with a nut and a pin dowel sticking out of the tensioner, also the tensioner has 2 holes drilled in it and has not got a visible spring , spring is located behind the tensioner with a slotted groove to adjust the tension.

Customer :

hello it says you have stepped out of this chat are you still available

Billy :

There must 've been some connection problems...

Billy :

I got the tensioner issue...you told me about it earlier.....however the timing marks on camshaft, pump and crankshaft are the same....

Billy :

If you have other problems....get back to me........and if you wish i can even opt out, and re list the question so other experts take a look.....

Billy :

Good luck for now...

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer :

i would have liked a diagram of the scramatics of our engine with hints and tips on how to adjust and tension the cam beltbecause the layout of the drawing sense and the position of all the cam wheels are different thanku for all your info so far and your kind help sarah and anthony speak tomorrow if poss tired out bloody sick of cars ha ha .

Billy :

ok......get back to me....and if the info is not helpful i will opt out....waiting for your news (hopefully good news...)

Customer :

unfortunately we feel you have not anwered our question of how to fit tension and time on this model this engine +81490+

Billy :

Well....i hoped i could provide more assistance....i will opt out, re list the question ...other experts will take a look.....

Billy :

Good luck!!!

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello -

Billy has asked me to help you if you still need help with this -

If so - please just use the reply button and let me know.

Rgds MIKE.......................................