Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Vauxhall zafira 2.0 dti vauxhall zafira. after driving for

Customer Question

vauxhall zafira. after driving for about 4 miles i have 2 lights on the dash, 1 light shows picture of car with spanner through it, the other light is picture of radiator. also rev counter drops to the bottom. when i rev the car up every thing works fine.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The light you mention with the spanner is a systems fault light - and the other is for low radiator coolant.

Normally this would be straightforward but not with the rev counter issue..

This then would indicate that rather than actual individual system faults - you may well have a battery or alternator / charging fault -

This can and does happen and will give odd symptoms as you describe -so have the battery and the charge rate tested... Im sure you are going to find a problem there in that circuit - your symptoms do all add up...especially as you say it clears when you rev up because the increased the revs are forcing the charge system to work / battery to charge.

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when the lights are on and rev counter down i also loose power.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again - thank you for your reply and further info..

Yes this is normal - the power loss is either because of the engine going into whats called safe or limp mode - because the spanner light is indicating that the ecu has detected an engine management fault - and so puts the light on to tell you - and at th same time invokes safe / limp mode - to enable the vehicle to be driven home / to a garage..

Too though as mentioned - this wont normally cut the rev counter - so if it is a heavy power draw ( as mentioned before re the electrical / charge system faults ) that to will drag the power down..

So all the symptoms are there - it needs looking at / checking as above - and if the charge system / battery etc is determined to be good - a plug in diagnostic test will need to be done to read the ecu fault code memory - as to why the fault light is on - and then the fault can be found / rectified that way.

Most small garages have the equipment to do the plug in tests for you if it comes to that - you dont have to use a dealer so that will be quicker - and cheaper for you if it does come to that - but do have the charge system / battery / alternator / belt / wiring and connections checked out first ..

I hope that helps you further -

Best Rgds - MIKE.