Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Mins..some days drives ok the abs light..machanic..find anything wrong

my smart car is loosing power will only do 20mph then after a couple of mins drives for a while then keeps doing it but some days drives ok the abs light is always on i have had it looked at by a smart machanic but they can't find anything wrong with it.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

What is the mileage on the car ?

What is its service / recent repair history ?

Do you have any warn lights of any type on the dash ..other than the abs?

Have any plug in diagnostic type tests been done at all and if so , with what result?

Rgds - MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mileage 35000 servised april 2011 no other warning lights yes diagnostic test been done shows no faults had an oil leak fixed but the fault was already there thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,.. thank you for your reply...

Can I just ask then - other than NFF with diagnostic tests - you mentioned a Smart mech has looked at it - can you tell me exactly what he has checked / tested etc - ?

Obviously I dont want to be telling you to be checking / doing things that has already been done -

Rgds - MIKE................................
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he has put it on the diagnostic test but it does not find any faults apart from that i don't know.He has been searching for the fault now for a year.He said wait for it to break down but it just will not and the fault is getting worse.Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply...

Well - as its been going on for so long , that is worrying..and for him to say wait for it to go completely - while I can somewhat understand his thinking - its not exactly ideal..

I have in mind that this could actually be something basic - though not easy to find.. I feel you could well have a blockage occurring in the catalytic converter or other part o f the exhaust system.

This would certainly cause the symptoms you have - they dont always just block solid - they can block enough to cause exactly as you describe, seriously reducing the engines ability to run properly.

So given that the servicing has all been done - and that would mean the fuel / air filters etc..etc - and nothing coming up on the diagnostics ( so long as its a proper dealer level machine that has been used ) that rules out most sensors etc on the engine - and no fault light on for the engine management system, that does at least on the face of it, leave the scenario of the blockage in the cat / exhaust.

The simple way to test that is to drop the exhaust at the manifold by about a half inch - enough to allow the engine to breath straight out instead of the exhaust - and try it. It will be noisy - but if full power is restored, that is the problem proved then as above...

I would strongly suggest now then checking that out as above and go from there...

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.