Engineering Pro
Engineering Pro , Automotive Engineer.
Experience:  BEng, M-SAE, Qualified Mechanic.
28703082

Toyota RAV4 4x2 ive just taken out my dpf.is there a way of

ive just taken out my dpf.is there a way of stopping the injectors from working.the engine managment light is on and the car is smoking like steamboat willie.one option ive been told is to get it remapped but the remap man suggested there was a simpler way
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Engineering Pro replied 5 years ago.
Hello
When you say stop the injectors working...

Are you refering to the injections that happen when there is a regeneration event to clean the DPF?

What fault codes are being recorded?

Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes m8 the car is smoking like hell at mo .i was hoping the engine managment would realise there wasnt a dpf and stop trying to clean it
Im afraid you cant just remove it, it doesnt work like that, its an integral part of the way the engine is mapped initially...
The smoke is being seen because the purpose of the dpf, diesel particulate filter, is to literally filter out the visible soot particles, its not the injectors trying to clean it, that only occurs after a certain set of conditions are fulfilled such as distance traveled, pressure difference, pre defined time of engine running etc etc...
Its simply the result of normal combustion, you will not be able to cure it unless there is some extensive remapping work and even then it will be there to some extent..

All the best
Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok.why do these companies claim you dont need it and that its a pointless piece of kit
During development, before the vehicle is allowed to be sold, the smoke emitted by an engine is measured for opacity. This is done by blowing the exhaust through some clean white paper and measure how much light is allowed through.
This is a legal part of the emissions regulation. The only way to do this is to use a dpf to remove these particles. There is no question about it... The vehicle can physically run without it but that doesnt really mean much, an engine can run without many components but they are all there for a purpose...
I am not sure which companies you are referring to, but i guarantee they do not have the same level of knowledge or understanding that toyota does when it comes to emissions compliance..
Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hya n8 where is the egr valve on my car located
Hi
The EGR valve is entirely separate from the dpf....
Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes m8 but ive also been told that it could be contributing 2 the build up of crap.ive been running my car on quite a high % of biodiesel also more than likley a contributary factor.ive disconnected the battery left a while reconnected and the managment light goes out for a period .ive filled with normal diesel and added some injector cleaner.will repeating this work

OK the thing that needs to be done here is to diagnose what codes are causing the MIL lamp to come on..

The EGR is a very common source of fault codes, they are very prone to carbon deposits preventing the valve from moving correctly..

A cheap ebay scanner can be had for only a few pounds, alternatively you can get it scanned at a garage, however this would probably be a similar cost to buying a scanner..

Jon

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds like a plan.the ones ive found for a 2007 rav 4 is a t605 at about 140 quid as the others dont seem to cover newer than 2006
I have a hand held one which i keep in the car and it was roughly 60 pounds off ebay.
Search for OBDII... You might have more luck on the US ebay site directly instead of .co.uk as they tend to be advertised in higher numbers on there..

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button if your original question has been answered.....