Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Vauxhall Vectra Vectra speedo not working

Customer Question

Vectra speedo not working - where is the VSS? It stopped working after I degreased the engine. 1999 model, C22SEL, no abs, manual trans
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer....

Depending on the exact transmission type you have fitted, the VSS is situated either on the very top of the transmission casing - on the top over toward the rear - screwed in downwards - or, it is located by the driveshaft where it enters the diff casing...

The latter is much harder to see and get at - and is actually easier done in most cases from underneath.

So check the top first - it will be evident fairly easily if its there ...it has a wire multiplug on it .... then if you don't see it, it will be the other type as above..

I'm very pleased to have helped you but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike, thanks for the advice. Still can't find it - gearbox has F18 stamped on it where the shifft linkages connect. If attached at the rear does it still have the multi connector plug? Is it near where the O2 sensor sits on the exhaust?

Cheers,
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi again - thank you for your reply..

Ok.. I need to look at this further for you just to be sure - can you please send me the full VIN and I will do that for you ...

Rgds - MIKE............................

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Mike,

VIN - W0L0JBF35XL366885

Eng: C22SEL25002755

Cheers,

Peter

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi again..

Ok, with that Ive figured this ..I admit to being thrown at the beginning when you said the car doesn't have Abs ;)

What you have on this type is whats called an "axle speed sensor".. and this is located on the front wheel hub - drivers side if I recall correctly.

I have a part number for you - which is a Vauxhall part number and that is - 93169317.. and I have looked one up for you . I know as a supplier this is not in your area but it shows you what it looks like etc..and an approx cost.. ( although from dealers they are about 15£ more.. )

So for that - click HERE..

So that has got to the bottom of that ..., apologies for the delay / confusion..

Best RGds - MIKE..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Again Mike,

Thanks, sorry to be a pain..

I'm curious to where it connects in the engine bay as the speedo stopped working after I sprayed degreaser all over the engine as I had a weeping oil leak from the cam cover. After I fixed that and hosed off the degreaser the speedo stopped working so I'm pretty sure it's just a dirty connector? And I can't find it!

Cheers,
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi again..

Thats fine no problem..

It could well be the connector - If you jack the car up - follow the cable up from the sensor you will see as above , on the hub. It has its connector either under the wing..or just inside the engine bay under the wheel arch - You will find it that way. Even if its the type that connects under the wing - water etc could have run down the wire into the connector..

After that - it would be a case of following the wire right up from the under wing to where it goes.
Im somewhat surprised you say this doesn't have Abs - I would have thought it did - you should see a pump device / electronic unit with several brake lines / pipes going into it..which is the abs - and you need to disconnect the main multiplug on that unit and check / dry it out...

I hope that all helps you further - Please dont forget the Accept button for me - You can continue to get back to me even after using the accept for as long as you need ..

Best RGds - MIKE..