Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

vauxhall insignia i have had to top up my coolant in my vauxhall

i have had to top up my coolant in my vauxhall insignia three times in the last three months what could be the prob code 3 came up three times
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Three times in as any months is not a lot - but you shouldn't have to do that , not with normal mileage...

So, you must have a leak somewhere - most likely intermittent ..and intermittent leaks especially such as this one...can be hard to find.. I imagine you have not found any leaks anywhere - inc inside the car.... and that you have checked the engine oil and that is fine.. ie, no signs of water in / on the dipstick..

All that being the case as above, the best thing to do is to take the car to the dealers ...as its under warranty...explain the situation to them..and ask them to carry out a high pressure test on the engine / cooling system.

This will trace / identify the cause / source of any leak that you have...

This is the only way to find such a slow - intermittent leak..as the equipment basally pressurises the systems to the levels that the engine experiences as you drive...

This is most likely and usually when any such leaks occur and obviously you can't tell when you are driving / travelling - so thats the reason this test is carried out - It basically simulates the driving etc...with the car stood still..and then such leaks can be found.

For particularly troublesome / hard to find cases - they will introduce a dye into the system - which they can then trace any leaks with UV light..

So thats the way forward on this one now - Especially as the car is new , you need to get this done as soon as you can.... such leaks only ever get worse can can catch you out resulting in engine damage worse case scenario....

I'm very pleased to have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.